Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separating brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separating brisket?

Hello! I recently saw a YouTube video of someone separating the flat and point of the brisket prior to cooking. They claimed it’s a lot easier to cook that way as each part cooks differently anyway. Then on a separate forum someone said the fat in the point keeps the moisture in the flat. So first question, who separates the pieces and how do you like that method? Second, does the fat in the point really support the flat? Thanks for any responses.

I prefer to separate them. It's a good way to carve out that fat layer in between the pieces and, like you said, each part cooks a little differently. There are other ways to preserve moisture in the flat, so I don't consider that a big deal. Also, I like the nice all-over bark and smoke ring you get by separating.

Comment

I separate for your above mentioned reasons and inject the flat with beef broth.

Comment

I don't separate. The layer of rendered fat between the point & flat is why that cut is so awesome! But then I like bacon too...

Comment

I don’t separate them nor do I inject the flat (unless it’s a select brisket) haven’t had a dry flat up to date. I do trim most of the fat away between the flat and the point though. Different strokes for different folks. 😊

Comment

I've only separated when available space in a now replaced cooker dictated I had too. that said, I've made some tasty brisket both separated and not. do what you gotta do.

Comment

I never separate. But there are many ways to smoke a brisket. So many variables with type of grill, temp, air humidity etc. give both methods a try and see what you like.

Comment

i always separate. the fat cap on the flat doesn't have to go away so you don't really lose anything in terms of moisture when you separate, it just depends on how aggressively you trim the fat between them

in addition you get like 50% more bark when you cook them separately since you now have surface on the bottom of the point and the top of the flat. between that and the differences in cooking times i consider it a win win

Comment

I have done them both ways. When separated you do get more bark. I do find the flat a bit leaner - not exactly dry but not juicy. Some like it this way.
                  Lately I have been trimming fairly heavily between the two but leave some fat - and the point on.
                  IMHO, the slices that have both the point and flat with that thin layer of juicy fat in the middle - heavenly.

Comment

I like to separate. It gives me a bit more control over the cook. I don't have to depend on the flat's progress to get at the point to make burnt ends.

Comment

I keep em together but trim it pretty well. I agree with JGrana, those slices with the point and flat with tbe rendered fat in between are heavenly.

Comment

I separate them. The point invariably is done sooner. The fat from the point does nothing for the flat.

Comment

I have never separated and never injected, I just don't get it.I do wrap

Comment

Meathead says exterior fat does zip for moisture. I believe him.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                              HorseDoctor commented
                              Editing a comment
                              It may not add any moisture, but it does protect the underlying meat from losing moisture, does it not?

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here