Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quick question about cooking a brisket and putting a pan of baked beans under...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about cooking a brisket and putting a pan of baked beans under...

Good Evening,
    Planning a 15 lb brisket for the Super Bowl and I wanted to make up a batch of baked beans to put under the brisket to catch all the goodness that drips off. I'll be in an XL BGE at 225°, starting at 9pm Saturday night. I figure around the 8-9am time frame I would pull the brisket and wrap it in butchers paper to finish it up. My guess-timation is the brisket cooks for 18 hours before it goes in the cabrio, which gets me off the egg around 3pm and on the carving cutting board around 5:30 give or take.

So my question is, the baked beans probably won't benefit from being under a brisket wrapped in butchers paper, that means I need to have them under the brisket prior to wrapping it up. Would you lay out the beans under the brisket as it first goes on the egg, then pull them off 4 hours or so later? Or would you put the beans on later and let them spend the evening under the brisket until I wrap it? I guess I'm not clear on how long would be too long to have the beans in the egg at 225°. Ideally it would be convenient to put the brisket and the beans on at the same time then when I wrap the brisket 12 hours later I pull the beans off, but that might be too long.

Thanks in advance, you guys have great recommendations here.

Kennymac You will get a lot of different answers on this one. It's all about personal preference. I don't like to put beans under my meat. The drippings certainly do add flavor. But it's fatty. So I like to put my beans in the Pit and just get some smoke on them. And then I cook them down so they are a bit thicker. This can be in the pit, or in the oven. With Texas style beans I garnish with some chopped Jalapeño per Meathead's recipe. They are magic!!!
    Last edited by PJBowmaster; February 1, 2018, 10:20 PM.

Comment

I’m also not a big fan of meat drippings in my bean.

Comment

I think the drippings really add to the beans. Just today, my best bud and most frequent taste tester came by the truck and ate a lunch. He LOVED the beans, noting they are markedly better than normal. What did we do different? Purposefully put them under butts and briskets, which we do not always do.

6 hours is a good limit to how long we'll have a pan of beans on the smoke. 4-5 hours usually

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          really? Butts and brisket is your answer. Why not just say "add bacon?" Just poking fun my brother!! I'm still LOL. Love that answer. "Butts and Brisket!" SWMBO: why didn't you cut the lawn. HH: Butts and brisket baby, I love you. 😀 Love It!!!!!!!!

I like the drippings too. The one thing to watch out for is how you place the pan. I placed beans on the deflector plate, underneath the grate (on a BGE). I used a stainless steel pan for the beans. The heat from the deflector dried out the beans in no time. I completely ruined them. Does anyone else have that experience?

What I will change until next time:
        A. Cook the beans for shorter time
        B. Place something (coins, or whatever) between the deflector plate and the beans to avoid drying out and burning.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          You might setting a grill on the plate setter and the pan of beans on that.

• Chuck in Charlotte
          Chuck in Charlotte commented
          Editing a comment
          This is where the adjustable rig comes in handy on the BGE, you can put the beans on a shelf above the heat deflector and under the meat.

• Kennymac
          Kennymac commented
          Editing a comment
          The adjustable rig for the egg is something that I need to look into, that sounds like something that would be very effective for capturing drippings. I'm still really new to using a smoker and this sort of grilling, before last summer the most I ever did was standard steak and burger grilling. Lots to learn.

It’s all in how thick ya want the juice. When I do that method, I put em on at the same time. When I wrap the brisket or shoulder I just let em sit thar till it’s as thick as I like em. Just be sure to stir em at least once an hour. Even after you wrap the meat.

Comment

Leaving beans on a smoker too long will dry them out. As Nuke em mentioned they need to be stirred. To avoid that I wait and put my beans under the meat a hours or so before I know when the fat really starts to render out. My experience is that happens at about 165 internal temp. When my internal is at 155 or so the beans go under the meat. Once the internal reaches the 170 mark is when I pan but not cover the meat as I want to catch some juices in the pan. You don't need a whole cooks worth of juices in your beans. Depending on the size of the pan of beans you may only need 1/4 to 1/2 cup to get the desired flavor.

Once the meat is panned I move the beans to a a different rack on the smoker and let them absorb smoke and cook down to the consistency I want them. Then they get covered and put in the cambro to hold until ready to serve.

Comment

I like to reserve some of the drippings to add back to the meat. That never hurts, and if the brisket is a bit dry, adding the drippings helps a lot.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I think I'll put the beans on early in the morning, then maybe wrap the brisket a few hours later. Hope you all have a great weekend, GO EAGLES!

Comment

• Willy
                Willy commented
                Editing a comment
                Down with the Pats! Go Foles!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here