Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak in restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak in restaurant

I guess I'm just spoiled. I was so disappointed.

I went into a well known restaurant, steak House, and ordered a large porterhouse fixed just the way I likes it.

The order was about $50.00 for myself including a couple drinks.

All I could do while eating it was think how I wish I had grilled it at home.

Anyone else have this trouble?

Just a week ago went to a pretty popular local-to-Michigan steakhouse chain (took my parents there for their anniversary) and thought the Exact. Same. Thing. A good steak, but not as good as I could've made it. I even ordered the Gorgonzola topper. My parents raved, and that's really all that matters I guess. Mine was under-seasoned, tougher than it should've been. But it was cooked just right at least. I don't care as much about 'cooked just right' as I do taste. That's why I'm not crazy about SV steak....but I digress.

Comment

Absolutely! Once I discovered Meathead's method and rubs I have zero need to go to a steak house. I'm not saying I make the best steaks in the world, but when you factor in cost at your super high end restaurants that at least puts me in the game!

Comment

I try not to order things when out dining that I normally make at home. That list is long. But steaks, ribs, pulled pork sammies, brisket are the staples I won't order. I look for different things so I look for their pasta or fish offerings. I do make fish at home but not that often.

Burgers are the exception I make burgers on my griddle quite often but I always like a good bar burger and a couple of cold beers. If I see gourmet hot dogs on a menu I stop looking!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Amen! I like to order seafood and fancy chicken stuff (Marsala, champagne chicken, etc) anymore. Brisket, ribs and steak just disappoint me. Fancy Italian stuff that I can't pronounce from the menu is another one that is pretty good.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Same. It's a hard habit to break, though. BBQ restaurants are underwhelming 99% of the time, now that I know how to do it myself. At the average steakhouse, steaks are usually pretty close to right on the inside when I order them medium rare, but most of the time it is at the expense of getting a good sear on it. Makes me want to pack along a chimney lighter and grill grate.

Yep. Meathead sure did ruin me. When I use to go out I would want to get up and go to the chief and show em a thing or two. My better half has prevented me from doing that many times. Now she makes me promise to "behave" if we do venture out. Now a days the kitchens are automatic now. Like auto steak machines etc. one place that I still enjoy is an India resturant. Those are true chiefs. Not to many are modernized these day. Which I enjoy.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 on the Indian restaurants. We have a really good one in my town, and they are definitely old school.

The wife and I used to go a steakhouse at least once a week. We haven’t been to one in 3 1/2 years since I found this site.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          i can't remember the last time I ordered steak at a restaurant. Ruth's Chris' steak is still great!

unless it is peter lugars, lowreys, or bobs steak and chop, I am almost always disappointed.

Comment

The only time I order steak out is steak and eggs for breakfast, and then I'm just expecting protein on a plate.
          Last edited by Attjack; January 25, 2018, 05:59 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

I only order steak if that's the only thing on the menu I like. My wife likes fancy restaurants where you can't pronounce the names of the ingredients, much less have an idea what they are. Me - not so much.

My wife and a friend went out of town a several years ago and I invited the friends husband over for a steak. He told me that if he could cook a steak like that, he would never order a steak in a restaurant again. And I think my steaks are even better now that I am a Pit member.

Comment

Tell the waiter you could cook it better yourself and the cook needs to step it up. I never say that, though. I’m too polite

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                Nor should you. The restaurant has passed Lucien and standardized recipes. It's not the cooks fault unless it's not cooked to proper temp.

I eat out when I travel for work (frequently). I, too, am disappointed with steaks. The one exception was NYC Capital Grille. But, I’m experimenting to make a replica steak of that. I’m close!

I order OTHER things on the menu like everyone else here.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                HouseHomey commented
                Editing a comment
                French fries! Yeah baby. Quesadillas and chicken sandwiches. All good stuff.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                I am still waiting for your post of how to duplicate that sear at home!

• scottranda
                scottranda commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris look at the Ultimate Birthday Sear thread. I have a few experiments in there.

I hear ya! Rarely can I talk the wife into going out to eat. Mostly cause she would rather I cook something. On the occasion when we do go out, I almost always order something I haven't ever made before. If I like it, I try to figure out how to make it myself. On the very rare occasion that I order steak, I am almost always pi$$ed at what I paid for something I know I can do better!

Comment

A steak is so simple. Why pay a jacked up price for something that's also easy to cook?

Comment

• shify
                  shify commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It used to be because you couldn’t get the same prime, dry aged steak. Now that it is much more readily accessible, it’s hard to order steak in a restaurant and not feel ripped off.

Exactly, order the things you don't cook yourself! I recently learned how to make mole sauce,so now I can be picky in Mexican restaurants.(what was I thinking?)!Though mole's can and are quite varied,so sampling is still a viable option.

Comment

• FireMan
                  FireMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Killer, "what was I thinking". LOL!

I complerly agree. I was curious though, do many steak houses actually Sous Vide their steaks, at varuois temperatures for donness, then finish on grill, broiler or pan? Would seem like an great way to get all steaks done at once.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here