Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separated point and flat - now how to cook and how long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separated point and flat - now how to cook and how long?

So I trimmed out a Prime brisket I'd been wet aging for a month or so in the fridge. I started removing fat and really really trimmed it down. There's essentially NO fat left on it. The wife and both didn't care for the fat cap last time. And I separated out the point and flat, so now it's two pieces.

But obviously, they're pretty thin. In fact, the flat is about 1.5" at it's thickest, I think, and the point, probably a little over 2, certainly no more than 2.5".

Do you guys stack them back together, put skewers in 'em, or just cook 'em totally separately if you've removed the point and flat? I wasn't planning on going 100% separate, was going to trim out some of the fat from in-between, we REALLY hated that fat layer between the pieces and the vessels in there, too. So I got a bit carried away, I suppose.

I removed 4lb 7.5oz from a brisket that was about 13lb and change.

Now I am cooking it for a late lunch tomorrow - 3-4PM, and I'm kind of at a loss for how long I'm going to need to cook it. I would think if I keep them separate, they will go pretty quick. I wasn't planning on crutching/wrapping, I almost never wrap anything. But I'm not overly experienced with brisket, only done one full one and a couple of flats in the past. And one point, I think. I'd think 8 hours should probably be plenty. Last time I did the full packer, it was done way too early and sat in the faux cambro too long, it was not nearly as hot as I wanted it when I served. It wasn't bad, but to me, I wanted hot brisket but it was more lukewarm.

If I start it too early, how long can I keep it in the oven at ~170? I mean, I don't want it to end up turning to mush from being overcooked, but I'm actually worrying now that it will get overcooked and dry with NO fat left on it. <sigh> Like I said, I probably got a bit carried away with the fat removal. I've got some beef broth I can inject it with, I suppose. All I've done to it so far is salt it and put it back in the fridge. Going to make a rub up for it that is much MUCH lighter on pepper than BBBR (again, didn't care for that), and no salt, of course, since I've already dry brined it for ~48h by the time it goes on the smoker. Probably just a little pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, some cumin and chipotle, was what I was thinking.

I'm just starting to worry I've messed it up already.

With your grill, do you have the capacity for them both to be cooked side by side? I would guesstimate at 225-250 they’d be done in 6hrs but don’t quote me on that. My last full packer brisket (15lbs) was done in 8 which was way early for my books. Kept it in oven for 5 hours then in Cambro for 3 and it was too similar to pulled beef than it was a brisket so learn from me on that one. Still cooking to an IT of over 200 making sure it’s probe tender around that number. You could also wrap with some beef broth thrown in to help with moisture when the bark is where you want it.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
      DogFaced PonySoldier commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, i can cook them side by side. But man, the edges are SO thin... I'm afraid there's gonna be a LOT of dry edges. It just kinda tapers out to nothing. lol. Thanks for the confirmation though, I assume it's going to go pretty quick.

The sides may dry out, but it is like a eighth of a inch on the ach side.

Comment

If you think the edges are too thin, you might as well trim them off before smoking. They will probably be to dry anyway. If you have room, you can go ahead and cook the trimmings, but watch them closely. They can be little snacks for the cook.

You could also save and freeze them and when you get several pounds, grind your own hamburgers.

Comment

Try making burnt ends with the point.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good call, love yer new avatar!
          Where was that taken? Looks tranquil, peaceful, beautiful there!

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          That was at Swallow Falls State Park. Muddy Creek Falls, the highest free-falling waterfall in MD. Mr. Bones

How did they turn out?

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          Still cooking right now... temps are all over the place. 30-40 degree difference from lowest to highest. Point is getting tender, maybe another hour there, the flat has a while to go yet. I'm not holding my breath, think it's going to be a hot mess.

If the bark is where you want on your flat you could wrap it to speed it up.

Comment

I took them off and wrapped them with some beef broth, have them in the oven at 170ish for now. Probably eat in about an hour. I'm not holding out much hope for them, they didn't feel real great. I just don't know. Oh well... food is food. You live and you learn.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Here's hopin that it all came out way better than yer anticipatin!

I separate the point and flat all the time. You can fold the thin part under itself to keep everything the same, but I don’t bother. If you think about it, there’s nothing keeping you from slicing that piece off when it’s done. I haven’t done it, but I just thought about it now.

I do one over the other, on separate grates, usually point on top.

I adjust the the temp depending on when I want them done. 225 is about 10 hours, 275 is about 8 hours.

Comment

Well, overall it came out ok. Parts of the point that were thin turned into some good crispy burnt ends. I know some people do the whole thing as burnt ends, I don't know why - that's the best damn part of the brisket, if you ask me! Soft and unctious.

The flat turned out ok, it was a flat, you know? Passed the hang test, nice and tender, but it was a little dry, as a flat is, usually. I'm in love with the point, so.... the flat has good flavor and can be tender, but it doesn't have that fat throughout that makes it so moist and savory.

Overall, it wasn't bad. I'm not sure what I'll do next time, whether I'll trim it down quite so much, probably not. I doubt I'll completely separate it. The rub went over well, wasn't too smoky or spicy, in spite of using a good bit of chipotle. Just a touch of pepper, which was good, with the BBBR, the pepper was way too overpowering for my taste.

So, it worked out ok.

It's funny, everyone else raved and fell all over themselves about how good it was, I thought the point was good, the flat was marginal. Are the rest of you guys super-duper hard on yourselves when critiquing your own BBQ like I am? Stuff I've barely choked down, others still love, and the stuff I think is "ok" they absolutely rave about.

No wonder people seem to like the BBQ at all these restaurants out there and when I go try it, I'm like, "meh." lol

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              That happens a lot, the high praise for what you think is just okay. As far as point vs flat, the greatest advantage to separating the muscles is that you can take them off at different times. You’ll get fewer dry flats that way.

Yeah, to me everyone else's bark looks better. At least you knew what to expect from a flat.

I had a super duper ugly select brisket I cooked one time to test out my Cambro. The flat looked like just a red piece of leather. Because it was so lean the point was not overly fatty. The flat tasted like the old cow, while the point was just like a ribeye.

Comment

Next time keep in mind you can trim more fat after it's cooked. I trim but I try to leave about 1/2" of the fat cap on. It's easier to remove the fat while your slicing anyhow and fat is after all flavor!
              I don't often separate the flat and the point. If I do it's because I want to use the entire point for burnt ends which isn't often. I separate just before I pan it. I take it off at about 165 Separate the two and pan the flat. Put the point back on directly on the grates and let it go until I'm ready to cube it for burnt ends.

Sounds like you just got a little carried away with your trimming knife. Don't be too hard on yourself it only frustrates you and leads you to overthink things which only makes things more difficult usually.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here