Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Burke's Garden Beef Short Rib Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burke's Garden Beef Short Rib Plate

Based on my freezer taking a vacation during this cold weather, I am smoking some beef I ordered from Crowd Cow. The farm is Burke's Garden Meats in Virginia. They open range, grass feed their beef - no antibiotics, GMO's etc.

I ordered 2 NY Strips - both great.
    The Chuck Roast is in the spa @ 135F until tomorrow
    Here is the short plate, did some minor trimming and just dry brined:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180113_114014.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	439285

Lots of meat on this rather small bones!!!

Quick question - should I smoke it whole or cut into 4 ribs?

I will be firing up the KBQ tomorrow morning. Yeah, we just had 12" of snow and the high tomorrow will be 16F...

Sounds like "trial by fire"!

I'd smoke it as a single piece unless you want your trial a bit shorter.

Comment

I'm with EdF on this one, smoke it whole. It will be grand.

Comment

Here's another thought. How much bark do you want? Whole, you get bark on the top and the two sides. When you cut this into individual ribs for serving, the two middle pieces don't have a lot of bark.

If you cut it into two pieces, each rib will have bark on two sides. And cutting into individual ribs will give you even more bark. Personally, I would probably cut the ribs into two pieces.

This does not take into account the ends because they will have bark regardless of how you slice it.

Comment

Thanks gents. I will hit them with some BBBR tomorrow morning and get it going.
          I am also smoking 2 full racks of SLC ribs, 4 chicken halves, the chuckie and a small HOF that I sous vide a few days ago.
          I can then re-freeze and enjoy over the next month or so...

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            OK, I surrender: "HOF"?

• edible hen
            edible hen commented
            Editing a comment
            Hunk of flat EdF

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks edible hen !

Yes! Smoke it whole...

Comment

whole. rub with Worcestershire sauce and hit it with BBBR. If you have a jaccard tenderizer might hit it with that first. leave the membrane on.

Comment

Whole! Salt & pepper is all you need!

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                a Dalmatian rub is mighty fine, we swap it back and forth with my BEVO Bark (a BBBR that is heavy in chilies that I make) to keep things interesting. Sometimes we even make a dirty Dalmatian rub.

Cut in half.

Comment

I'd do Aaron Franklin style. Whole, light coat tabasco, heavy salt and pepper.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here