Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs - How To Cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs - How To Cook?

I have these short ribs that are about 1.25 lbs each. What is the best way to smoke them or are they too small?
    Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Short Ribs.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	438152

Not too small at all! Are you looking for traditional smoking? If so, dry brine asap. (Personally I do not subtract for bone weight, but some do).

Smoke at your preferred low & slow temp, treat them as little brisket candy bars basically. Take them up to your preferred wrapping temp, if you wrap (I do, but not until after the stall at around 180ish). Plan 3-5hrs, roughly. Then give them a faux cambro hold for an hour or two for best results.

I've never cooked them with that particular flanken cut, only standard English cut but the meat is the meat and it needs the TLC.

Comment

I just defrosted a 4 bone short rib plate, prime beef from Costco. I’m firing up the egg in a few minutes. Can’t decide if I should cut them to individual ribs before, or after I cook. Whaddayathink?

Comment

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are getting 4 bone slabs, you may well be getting chuck ribs (ribs 2,3,4&5) instead of plate ribs. Plates are most often cut 3 bones (ribs 6,7&8). Chuck ribs tend to have a shorter bone but thicker meat. I do them as a slab and cut after cooking. Takes a hungry person to eat more than one! It's all good!!!

• SierraBBQGuy
        SierraBBQGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s very interesting. I buy these often, usually cut and braise them. The package is marked short ribs....not that Costco would mis-lead! Lol

Although they also sell something labeled boneless short ribs and I know they are actually cut from the shoulder (chuck) not a rib at all.

• HorseDoctor
        HorseDoctor commented
        Editing a comment
        They are still "short ribs", just chuck short ribs instead of plate short ribs. Good illustration of both (as well as beef back ribs) at: https://aggiemeat.tamu.edu/barbecue-cut-identification/ I actually like the chuck short ribs better.

That's a real nice looking flaken rib Omega-Man. Do what Huskee suggests.

Comment

You are going to love these. Beef short ribs are a tasty treat.

Just make sure they get a proper hold, after the cook and you will be good to go. Probe tenderness is also key.

Comment

Short Ribs are SO GREAT! I cook mine to Very Probe Tender, and have never wrapped them.

But, then, it's after dinnertime, and you well know how great they are!

#PicturesPlease

Comment

What PaulstheRibList said. They’re great! I love them! Smoke them as is, don’t cut them up first.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here