Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak still red at 170F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak still red at 170F

We thawed steaks from the deep freeze and while breaking in my new Thermapen Mk4 they read 170F but when I went to take the temp reading they oozed red. I sliced two open and this is how they looked. I know they're fine to eat but why would they still be that red at well done temps? Cuts are CAB chuck tenderloin steak and CAB top sirloin petite steak

Click image for larger version

Name:	steak1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	436906

Name:	steak2.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	436905

Name:	steak3.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	436908
    Attached Files

Wow! That's an amazing cook. Color is not always an indication of doneness. You could have tempted it close to the top as well.

Though it may be an anomaly I would call that a win.

Also lower and slower doesn't always produce grey meat although 170° is way up there.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had a steak so red that high up in temp which is also a reason why I bought the thermapen.

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Did taste outstanding though

Something doesn't seem right. 150 degrees is about as warm as most people can stand to hold their hand on for more than a few seconds. Did the inside feel hot to the touch?

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't doubt that you got a good hot exterior, based on how that sear looks. But you are holding it with fingers on the exterior, not interior. I just don't believe the inside of that meat got anywhere near 170. That is a picture perfect medium rare, in my book! The question in my mind is how did you finish them to well done, since that is what you were apparently going for?

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanted medium rare and these hit the spot! What happened was my wife was cooking dinner and thought it was odd her thermometer read them at 165 and saw a lot of red coming out. She called me and asked if I wanted to check with my mk4 to see if her thermometer was finally toast. When I did I got closer to 170.

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I put the probe lengthwise through the middle on a different cut also (pics 1 and 2) and all of the steaks were coming out like this. I'm fine with how they turned out and the kids devoured them, I've just never seen it happen at a high temp. I did a heat test on the mk4 and it passed.

Have you checked the Thermopen in boiling water? That should tell you if it's the thermo.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      yup. it nailed boiling water for my area.

That doesn’t look right to me. One thing to remember if you are new to the thermapen is that the sensor is in the very tip - like the last 1/8 of an inch. This is not like other thermometers younmay have used, which average the temp of the entire probe tip. I suspect you pushed it past the center of the meat and were measuring the more cooked band at the bottom of the steak. Either insert from the edge, where you know you are in the middle of the steak, or insert and slowly pull back up and look for the lowest reading.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      After I poked it from the top I realized what I did and came in through the side (pics one and 2) length wiese and had the same results. Tried it with another thermometer also and results were pretty close. That's why I'm scratching my head.

I think the thermometer is off.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      I did a boiling water test and nailed it. My wife cut the others open and they were all the same way. She measured with her thermometer going in lengthwise and was only a few degrees off. I could barely hold with my fingers the meat was so hot.

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Does the fact they were frozen and then thawed play into it at all? I dont know how thawed or what my wife did to thaw them out.

odd... eat it, then comment. Or even better, ill donate my pallete to science an eat it for you.. I'm like mikey!

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I did and it was fantastic! I told my wife we need to figure out what happened and try to do it again!

Coincidentally, or accidentally, you have cooked the PERFECT steak! That looks marvelous! As noted, the Thermapen is extremely sensitive. Once you finally punch through one side, you are dang near reading the bottom side. I like the side probe method on steaks so I know what the middle is doing. The pull out method is great also. As always too, give the ole Thermapen an good test in boiling water. No matter who you are. Know your tools.

Comment

• spoon
      spoon commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Gave it the boil test after dinner and it hit where it should be for my elevation.

Thermoworks has very good steps for checking your thermometer calibration using an ice bath. That will get you 32F/0C checked at least. Boiling water temp will depend slightly in your altitude.

Comment

Also meat turns red/pink only when cut and exposed to oxygen. Maybe a really juicy steak could still turn pink at 170, once cut and exposed to oxygen. Most are too dried out to have any myoglobin left by that temp.

Comment

From the Food Republic website.

In any case, when heat is applied to red meat, myoglobin begins to transform. At 140 degrees Fahrenheit — the temperature at which red meat it considered "rare" — myoglobin remains relatively intact with little to no change in color. As the internal temperature of the meat rises above 140 degrees, however, myoglobin loses its stability and forms a new molecule called hemichrome. Hemichrome is the compound that gives medium-cooked red meat its slightly browned color.

We’re not done yet. Internal temperatures continue to climb until the meat has reached a blistering 170 degrees Fahrenheit, the point at which it’s considered "well-done." By this time, the myoglobin has been completely altered and has lost all of its red color.

Comment

• spoon
          spoon commented
          Editing a comment
          1st thanks! 2nd uggggghh now I'm even more stumped trying to figure what was off. It was really juicy too.

• jlazar
          jlazar commented
          Editing a comment
          It looked great. I would have eaten it.

• spoon
          spoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh I devoured it as did my kids!

Was it salted or had pink salt on it before freezing?

Comment

• spoon
          spoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Not that I'm aware of

I bet you were just too far through and the tiny tip of the T-pen was reading the seared surface of the other side.

Comment

• spoon
          spoon commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah I didn't think of that. Thank you!

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          That's my bet. Went through the middle to the bottom, got the sear.

My money is on probe placement.

Comment

i would say probe placement as well. remember, it's the very tip of the thermopen that takes the temp. if you poke it in and go too far you were likely reading the spot closest to the grill which would be pretty hot

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here