Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well Done Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Done Steak

I know the correct answer is "DON'T"

But what is the best way to cook a well done filet.

Thanks

I would imagine the same as medium rare, just let it get to a higher internal before starting your searing.

Comment

Use a thermometer and pull it a few degrees before it reaches final temp. The CAB site sez 160* for well done, so I'd suggest pulling about 155*. Is the person who wants well done phobic about even a slight amount of pink? If not pull at about 150*.

And I would front sear and go low and slow to finish. That way you will have more control over the final temp - hot and fast will work, but the temp will rise faster and it will be harder to pull at the correct temp. The temp will also rise more when you pull it if cooked hot.
      Last edited by RonB; January 8, 2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Both great advice.

Comment

When cooking a steak for the wife I let the IT reached 150/155 then reverse sear.

Comment

Restaurants usually butterfly any filet requested well done and cook them right to well. Juiciness and texture aren't gonna matter at that point anyway and it's likely gonna be drowned in some sauce so you just don't want to burn up the exterior. The butterfly will more closely match the timing of the correctly cooked filets!

Comment

I got a couple in my family that like a steak like that too. I usually toss them on indirect heat about 15 minutes ahead of the other steaks, and then finish them all with a reverse sear, keeping a close eye on which ones are the extra cook time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here