Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket Hot and Fast on the Weber 26-inch Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket Hot and Fast on the Weber 26-inch Kettle

I’ve been wanting to post this for a few weeks now and finally got around to doing so. I bought the 26 inch Weber Kettle and SNS XL right before Christmas and one of the first things I cooked was a brisket. But since, like many of you, I am busy with work and family a 12-16 hour cook was just not something I have a lot of time to do, so I decided to do something I always wanted to try - cook a brisket hot and fast.

I bought a 10 pound prime packer from Costco, trimmed it, and applied Oak Ridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub (which I highly recommend). I pre-lit 1/2 chimney of Kingsford Original charcoal and dumped that into the SNS. I filled the rest of the SNS with unlit charcoal, and filled the water reservoir. I threw on about 4 chunks of hickory and let the temp on the indirect side come up to 325 degrees, and put on the brisket. After about 2 1/2 hours the meat temp was around 170 degrees and I had a good crust that had developed. I put the brisket in a foil pan and covered the pan tightly with heavy duty foil. Pack on the grill at 325. In about 2 hours the internal temp of the meat was 204 degrees and the meat probed like soft butter. I poured off about 2 1/2 cups of juice from the pan into a fat separator, refoiled the brisket and held it for about 2 hours wrapped in a towel in my cooler.

I poured 1 cup of the hot defatted juice into a foil pan, sliced the brisket and placed it in that juice so it wouldn’t dry out (I always heard brisket can dry out after you slice it and let it sit, so this was just a way to prevent that from happening and it worked beautifully). I took another cup of the juice, mixed it 1:1 with some Powboys KC Crossroads, and heated it on the stove. I let folks decide if they wanted to add the sauce or not.

My impressions: this is some of the best brisket I have ever made. It sliced like butter and had that slight resistance when pulled. It was moist, had a good smoke ring and packed with beefy flavor with a perfect amount of smoke.

I am definitely cooking my briskets hot and fast for now on. I’m convinced!

2 1/2 hours, 170 internal, right before wrapping:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brisket1.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	435306

After holding:

Some bark rubbed off on the corner of the flat. That was an area of fat I could have trimmed better.

Name:	Brisket2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	265.2 KB
ID:	435307

This is is sliced right through the section where the point and flat overlap:

Name:	Brisket3.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	435308

Sliced and ready to serve:

Name:	Brisket4.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	435309

Last edited by ColonialDawg; January 5, 2018, 09:16 PM. Reason: Re-attached pics

No pictures, so it didn't happen.

Comment

I have always cooked brisket hot and fast. Great write up! Let's see those pics.

Comment

I thought a stall was required to get good bark, of course at the cost of some dryness if you push it too far. At 325 is there any stall at all?

Comment

Nice. But... must... see... pics...

Comment

Helllloooooo?

Comment

I posted pics and I can see them as I type this. Noone else can see them?

Comment

Not so far, sorry dawg...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EDIT> Reportin' Now see pics 0036 05JAN18...
                  Looks Great, amigo!

no pics, and it's kinda like santa clause or the tooth fairy, or a cheap wife...never existed. I tried hot and fast once...made the best beef jerkey you can imagine...... Maybe ill try your recipe!

Comment

OK, I tried attaching again. Hopefully these come through this time.

Comment

They are showing now and that's a great lookin' cook.

Comment

Great-looking brisket! Nice.

Comment

Nice cook. May have to give that a try.

Comment

awesome

Comment

I see the pictures and they look awesome!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here