Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All these prime rib cooks got me feelin' left out, so...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All these prime rib cooks got me feelin' left out, so...

Naturally, had to visit my butcher down the street!

Got about a 5½ lb rib roast, decided I'm going to do a "special dinner" tonight - just because I'm not at work. lol

So, here she is just a little salt and pepper. No time to really do a dry brine on it like I'd like to, but oh well. I'm sure it'll come out ok.

Click image for larger version  Name:	hc_1515086797113-XL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	434436

Decided to throw it on the smoker at the lowest "smoke" setting for... oh, an hour or two, I think.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180104_113439-XL.jpg Views:	1 Size:	202.4 KB ID:	434437

Then I'll pull it off, season it up a bit more with probably some garlic and rosemary pan-seared in some butter, along with the infused butter, seal it up in a bag and sous vide it for 4-6 hours - planning probably 132°F. Final sear will be with my flamethrower after the water bath. Definitely more pics of that later!

I'm thinking it'll probably come out "ok".

Of course, of the guests tonight, my wife and son like their steaks more medium-well, occasionally medium-ish, so I'll probably cut a couple pieces off for them and then sear them either on the grill or cast iron so they will be a little more done-ish. The neighbor lady likes "blue rare", but I'm thinking she'll just have to suffer on through. lol

<edit> Now I gotta think of some sides to go with it... hmmm... I saw a video with some sous vide asparagus with mint and butter, as well as a sous vide carrots with sesame and honey. I've got 3 sous vide cookers I want to utilize, so I'm looking for ideas like that.

Don’t forget the final product pics.

Comment

Here's some in-progress... just came off the smoker, put in the water bath! Definitely smells SMOKEY! Anyone who tells you a pellet smoker can't produce a good amount of smoke, well... mine was pouring smoke out of it like just about any stickburner I've ever seen! Of course, this was at the "smoke" setting, which was keeping temps around 110-120°F, so not enough to cook on. Definitely a bit less smoke when you turn the heat up, but for a project like this one, I wasn't WANTING it to actually cook at this time, that's for the water bath!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180104_131211-XL.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	434503

Name:	20180104_131940-XL.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	434504

I decided against the garlic and rosemary in the bag, so it's just kosher salt, fresh cracked Tellicherry black pepper and smoke! I'll do some garlic, rosemary and clarified butter up when it's coming out of the bath and pour that over it before I hit it with the flamethrower!

Can't wait!

Got a few other little things to go with it, we'll see how they come out.

Comment

• JCGrill
        JCGrill commented
        Editing a comment
        My pellet muncher won't even go below 150, and I don't like the color of the smoke until it gets to about 180.

Liking the look of your cook so far.

Looking great so far. Bet that will be great.

Comment

Lookin' forward to the final report - and pics.

Comment

Well, no pics for this update. The prime rib is cooked/cooking - the beauty of sous vide - and I have sides on a roll at the moment. I browned some garlic and rosemary in some oil, then threw it in a bag with some small yellow/gold potatoes and butter with salt/pepper. It is in the water bath now at 190°F.

Cut up some carrots, butternut squash, acorn squash, yellow squash and red onion, tossed in some olive oil and spread on a pan, they are in the oven at 400°F, trying to hurry them up a bit. I might just give them some salt and pepper, or I might drizzle a little balsamic vinegar over them, just a touch. I've never done the dense squash before in my life - that stuff's a PITA! I dunno if I'll do it again or not!

Then gonna throw some garlic bread in at the last bit. Not sure how this will all turn out, it's my first try at ALL of this. I actually had to nap a couple hours and that put me behind... now I'm both exhausted AND behind schedule. Coupla folks will be here in a half hour, but no way I don't think this stuff is going to be ready then.

Comment

I do a quarterly cook for my sales team, and this quarter I'm doing two prime rib roasts with all the fixins. me personally, i prefer a good ribeye, but there is something sexy about prime rib. The only thing that gets a higher participation rate from my team is are briskets... LOOKIN GOOD!

Comment

Well.... I do pretty well keeping up with pictures until the very end, you know? I mean... when there's a time crunch to get everything finished up, and people are waiting, and then we sit and eat and after dinner I usually sit in my recliner like a giant balloon from the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade or something. Plus breaking out the Scotch... lol. So anyways, I did get some pics, just a little late getting them up for those who were waiting. Sorry. Ok, more like sorry/not sorry. lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180104_195619-L.jpg Views:	1 Size:	138.6 KB ID:	434858

And here's a video of the sear job:

<edit> Ok, the video won't embed, so I'ma see if I can either upload it to YouTube or see it will embed from Google. I also have some more pics on the wife's new phone, since I was cutting and such, so once she gets up, I'll try to put up some of those. Also have a video of the actual cutting of the roast, which is like serious food pr0n.

Stay tuned!

<edit 2> Video should display now.
              Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; January 5, 2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Ok, got some more pics. Here are a couple after it came out of the water bath:

Name:	IMG_20180104_193728-L.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	434874

Name:	IMG_20180104_193659-L.jpg
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	434875

After the sear:

Name:	IMG_20180104_194310-L.jpg
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	434876

Name:	IMG_20180104_194325-L.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	434877

And the best shots of all:

Name:	IMG_20180104_195053-XL.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	434878

So now I have the searing video up on YouTube, which will display better, I think.

As well as the cutting video:

BTW, the sizzling sound you hear in the background of the cutting video is a couple of slices I cut off for The Wife and The Boy, searing in some butter in the cast iron skillet. They like theirs medium-well. UGH! Blasphemers!!!

Let me know what you think. Always open to ideas and feedback!

Comment

Nice work! You certainly achieved edge to edge rare/medium-rare. I also have family members in the medium well club. That is a painful cook-to-order request.

Comment

Beautiful! Enjoyed the video

Comment

Wow! Killer job!

Comment

well documented and it looks good enough to kill for

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here