Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First brisket - USDA Prime - Exquisite!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First brisket - USDA Prime - Exquisite!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_152641.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	433410

12.6 lb USDA prime (45 oz fat trimmed) on the Primo grill - indirect using Jealous Devil lump charcoal - 14.5 hour cook. Excellent!

The meat went on the grill Friday night at 11:45, off at 2:15 Saturday afternoon with a meat temperature of 192° - 197° - perfect timing! We ate most of the flat while it was at its best, reserving the point to slice later.

The meat was salted liberally with Himalayan sea salt and then Tellicherry peppercorns each fresh ground fine in a coffee grinder on Friday morning. 3 Quarts of no salt added beef broth and 3 tablespoons of of Worcestershire were mixed (cold) Friday night and I injected about 10 - 12 ounces reserving the remaining for the pan which sat about an inch below the meat under the grate.

The cook started at 225° and at 5.5 hours the grill sat at 205° with the meat at 153°, I flipped it and bumped the heat a touch and back to bed. At 7.5 hours I flipped it back over to fat side up. It looked so beautiful after 8 hours the executive decision was made: there shall be NO TEXAS CRUTCH! I basted once at 12 hours just for fun while pulling a few tubes of pan drippings to make a sauce adding some Baby Rays and spicy mustard which not many used as it turned out

The grill temperature varied from a low of 225° and a high of 241° and the result was so damn good I made it my first priority for Sunday morning to get another brisket at Costco. I found once there they only have flats, packers were only for the holidays If I had known I'd have taken a few in late November while also at an unknown sale price of $2.99 / lb for USDA Prime. I desperately need to make another to be certain my process wasn't just dumb luck but not at $9+ per pound for prime or $11.50 per pound for Snake River Farms base (black grade) Wagyu. Gonna have to wait for a sale ...

I wish you all a fantastic 2018!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171229_233755.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	433411Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_073540.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	433412Click image for larger version

Name:	20171230_141758.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	433413

So, I take it that you liked it. Sure looked mighty nice!

Comment

looks beautiful!

Comment

Congrats! Looks great!

Comment

Nice looking piece of meat. Made me hungry.

Comment

that's fantastic work. i hope you find another sale soon

Comment

• JPACCFL
              JPACCFL commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I hope so too.

Feels good, don't it?!

Comment

• JPACCFL
              JPACCFL commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes!

By the looks of things you done good .....

Comment

Nice looking brisket if there's another Costco close you might give them a call,not all the ones near me carry the same inventory!

Comment

• JPACCFL
                JPACCFL commented
                Editing a comment
                I will make the call, thanks!

Great results the time and effort is all worth it.

Comment

I'd hit that! I gotta try a prime brisket one day. All mine have been choice. Haven't ever seen a prime around here no Costco. I'd have to order from Creek Stone or SRF. That surely looks good though! Nice job.

Comment

• JPACCFL
                  JPACCFL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just broke down yesterday after getting an SRF email - ordered a 12-14 Wagyu black grade at a $24 discount

Man that looks sooo goood! I’ve only done one brisket, ready to try again. The mgr at The Fresh Market told me he gets Prime grade brisket in before every holiday, including even St Patty’s. Gonna have to check soon. Great job.

Comment

• JPACCFL
                  JPACCFL commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, I will be dropping in on my local Fresh Market to inquire.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here