Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need a tutorial on separating a brisket... anyone up to make a video?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a tutorial on separating a brisket... anyone up to make a video?

Did my first brisket the other day, and it turned out great. But... being a Prime, it had a ton of fat, and I cut off nearly half the weight. Tried to use the Franklin method, for the most part.

I wanted to separate the point and the flat, but there was so much fat in between, I knew I would lose even more, and I figured that fat wouldn't be that bad in-between. But it was... honestly, the fat made it difficult for me to eat, there was so much of it. I am going to trim more on the outside next time (and ending weight be damned!), but I'd like to see how to actually separate the two muscles, either before OR after cooking, as well as some before and after pics, and during pics.

How does it affect your cooking? I would assume it will cook a TON faster with the muscles separated, but does your flat then end up pretty dry? Do you stack them on top of each other again once you've removed that fat layer in between? I'm worried my knife skills aren't up to the challenge and I'll end up macerating my point so badly it'll look like a wolverine attacked it before I put it on the smoker.

Someone post up a video or some detailed pictures for us, maybe along with some notations on pre-trim weight, post-trim weight and actual weight of fat removed?

I like detail.

If not, maybe I can do so in a couple weeks when I pull my next Prime packer that is wet-aging in the fridge, but I'm afraid I am very poorly photogenic and I would just be winging it, anyways, you know? Not a tutorial so much as a laugh fest. lol

Anyways, just a thought, I was hoping someone was interested. Or if you know of a well-done video showing this stuff, shoot me a link - I haven't found a good one with this specific topic.

See? Juicy, juicy, juicy... but dang, look at how much fat there is there in between????

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171224_180918-L.jpg Views:	2 Size:	127.0 KB ID:	432549

A thin thin rim of fat on the outside, I can see - it dries out a little bit, has the rub on it, but that ½-¾" layer of weird fat in between the muscle layers was a major yucko to me. Anyone else feel the same?? I know I can just try my hand, but I am thinking before the cook, I will end up butchering the hell out of it, and after the cook, it is so hot, plus slimy and difficult to manage, plus I will be losing heat and juice as I mess with it...

I'm just curious if there's a good technique to deal with this?

Comment

Not a fan of Costco "prime" brisket. Way too much fat you are being charged for. How to BBQ right on youtube dicusses trimming in detail, except separating but that is only like following that fat line. Use a filet knife. The two cuts will then cook at different speeds and need to be monitored. I posted a separated prime brisket cook a while back if you look.

Comment

This guy has a couple videos

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        That explains it all. Thanks Nate

• Pirate Scott
        Pirate Scott commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate thanks, Light Bulb 💡 moment.

I always remove the fat between the flat & point and stop just short of separating. I don't have a video, but find the two muscles and start trimming the fat little by little. Eventually you can peel up one muscle from another. In my experience, Costco Prime, SRF Wagyu, or grocery store Choice ALL have same amount of fat, which is too much! I personally haven't noticed Costco's being worse or better, so don't be dismayed by that. Remove the fat if you want to. What matters is the quality of meat on your plate, you've already paid for it!

Here's a single shot of it, after the fat between the two is removed, just keep going left at this point and they'll soon be separated:

Click image for larger version

Name:	brisket trim.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	432562

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Hadn't thought of leaving them semi-attached... that might be my best option. I think I need a better trimming knife, though. Was just reading up on that, I'm going to need to get me one.
        Last edited by DogFaced PonySoldier; January 1, 2018, 07:40 AM.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        DogFaced PonySoldier I like either the Rapala 6" for brisket trimming and/or the white handled boning knife https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Both are excellent in my opinion, and cheap!

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent, a nice filet knife is something I don't have... gonna get a couple of those on the way today! Thanks Huskee !

Not to be critical of other people's taste's and choices, but I am frequently amazed (and amused) that some folks are so fastidious about removing as much beef fat as possible, yet so many of us rave over bacon, sausage, even hamburgers... All are so awesome partially because they are laden with fat! To me, a seam of fat in the middle of the point is part of the reason the point is the best! To each, his (her) own... Enjoy!

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        I trim the fat between the muscles as Huskee stated as well, II think a 1/4" is enough although I do save all the decent trimming and freeze to add to my sausage grind when I make it.

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not gonna lie. I love fat, gushy fat, melts fat, rendered fat, ground fat and fat. People like me are fat because of all the excercise I don't get and the other stuff I eat and drink. Not because of the "fat." I completely agree with you sir.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        I leave a generous fat cap on, and that one strip of fat on each slice is plenty for me. As long as it has good marbling throughout (Choice or better, I don't cook Select briskets) then that's plenty for me. Too fatty is too fatty for me & mine.

I separate flat and point completely. Not hard to do with a sharp knife. When cutting apart, leave fat on the flat side. There’s plenty of intramuscular fat in the point and I want a good layer on the bottom of the flat. All of Butcher BBQ videos are good info!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	F8540775-1431-4B24-B3BA-C80695C43CBC.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	432766

Comment

Okay, so I have not done a packer before. Everything I see is pretty small 5-8 lbs doesn’t need much trimming but is pretty expensive 5.99-7.99 per lbs. I am not sure I would want to do a whole Brisket if I am trimming that much fat. What are the advantages?

Comment

A packer will usually be 1/3 - 1/2 the price per pound. You will rarely, if ever trim enough to negate that. Plus smaller cuts are usually the flat, which is the "red haired stepchild" to the point. 😁 If you don’t want the volume of a whole packer, cut it in half and do corned beef or pastrami with the flat and smoke the point. It’s all good! Enjoy!
          Last edited by HorseDoctor; January 2, 2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Ship me a SRF packer and I’ll studio up : )

Comment

• vandy
              vandy commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear ya dude! I would take a stab at it myself, LOL

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here