Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Question!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Question!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_54207.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	432194Click image for larger version

Name:	image_54208.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	432195 Got a 7lb USDA Choice Brisket Flat from Costco and following Meathead's instructions more or less, I am now at a point in my cook that I am not stressing about yet but is something I was thinking about when I put the probe into the thickest part of the slab. I basically gave it 3 hours @ 235F, above the water pan, and at almost the same time as the chart shows I am getting 153 steady for at least an hour. I waited until the last of my oak/hickory burned off and then pulled it out to wrap in 2x heavy foil to do the Texas Crutch. I felt around and found the thickest spot and poked the probe in after setting it back in the smoker.

Here is my concern. I am now up to 232F in the smoker but my meat started out at 137F!! Now I hope with the foil I am not going to have a Second Stall. Understanding the science I doubt this will happen. Just wanted to get some validation from others where this may have happened. I plan to pull out when this reading gets to 200F and then into the cooler it goes to finish. I hate opening and closing the door (I have Camp Chef Smoke Vault) to check temps if I can avoid it.

As of now about 45 minutes after putting the brisket back we're at 149F. I am really hoping that this will `power through' as Meathead indicates in the instructions lol.
    https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...finitive-guide
    Last edited by jdanham; January 1, 2018, 09:39 AM.

Sorry folks about the duplicated/large images

Comment

Wrapped meat shouldn't stall all that much, that is one of the advantages of wrapping.

Comment

The temperature drop is normal. You won’t have much stall if any. When you get to about 200F, rather than pull it out, probe it in a couple of places to check tenderness. Pull when probe tender.

Comment

Thanks - I was just about to post that I'm now at 160F, and I will check the tenderness as suggested!

Comment

Not unusual to pull a flat at 193-195.

Comment

"Patience grasshopper" it will happen, but at 160, you're not likely very close yet. Start checking at 185-190... maybe... Hope you weren't planning on this for a 7:00 dinner party... Good luck & enjoy!

Comment

I made an executive decision after poking the meat in the smoker to move it to the faux cambro cooler to rest. Again, watching the slow decline in the temperature, I decided at around 170 (it was 8pm and the guests were getting restless lol) to assemble in the dining room and begin carving. I made Meathead's Texas mop sauce and there was plenty of au jus to drizzle on the serving platter. In my opinion it was a bit dry, but everyone thought it was excellent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8486.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	432648Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8482.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	432649Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8484.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	432650

Thanks again to everyone. Happy New Year!

Comment

• holehogg
                  holehogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  jdanham Look's dam good even from this far away. Don't be so hard on yourself, if they say it was excellent then it was.

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If it wasn't a bit dry than you wouldn't have had a flat.

• Pirate Scott
                  Pirate Scott commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It starts to dry as soon as you slice it. Looks good.

Looks pretty durn good! Congrats! Flats often tend to be dry. That's why the point is my fav...

Comment

Dang! That's a good looking brisket. Cheers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here