Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse Sear Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Sear Question

When using reverse sear, do you start with your steaks right out of the fridge or at room temp?

From what I have read here you do not need to let them come to room temp. I take them out and season them and put them on.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I know that for smoking but wasn't sure it applied to reverse sear.

Straight from the fridge. You can also take them straight from the freezer to the grill if you dry brine before freezing them.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, thanks. That is what I did. Dry brined the night before.

Cold meat absorbs more smoke than warm meat. So you may or may not like them started cold depending on how much smokey flavor you like. I start mine cold as most here seem to do, but some just want a touch of smoke. So try 'em cold and adjust if necessary.

Comment

You can put them on straight from the fridge. You can put them on room temperature. I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I usually go straight from fridge. I worry if I set them out to get to room temperature I'll get distracted and leave them out too long.

Comment

A slower rise to temp will help with tenderness, that includes a room temp steak or roast (beef, never pork or chicken) ... but like Meathead says it could take 10hrs on the counter to get a roast to room temp, and that's a safety risk. Steak? Probably not much risk in giving it an hour or two on the counter first. I put a probe in asteak once and gave it four hrs, it went from 36 (fridge temp) to 53, 54ish in 4 hrs in a 68 degree kitchen. Takes a long time. Be leery of books or TV personalities that say "take it out if the fridge for an hour to come to room temp".

Comment

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee I can understand not bringing chicken to room temp, but why is beef okay and not pork??? Both beef & pork are processed pretty cleanly compared to dipping in hot "salmonella soup" like poultry. Confused!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          HorseDoctor I don't trust pork like that. Beef is relatively harmless, you can eat it rare or very rare, less harmful bugs in it.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee Historically the "bad bugs" in pork is trichina worms, not a bacteria. Virtually unheard of in commercial pork these days. And they don't start to reproduce in meat when warm anyway. I don't worry about pork unless it's wild boar and even there trichina is uncommon. Bear on the other hand, watch out! Medium rare pork is awesome! Nothing to be afraid of!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here