Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood chunks for ribeye steaks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood chunks for ribeye steaks?

I'll be reverse searing some ribeyes for dinner on the SnS this afternoon. Do y'all use woodchunks for smoke flavor for ribeye steaks?
    Or should I go without the wood chunks?

This will be my first steak cookout on my Weber grill and SnS. Thanks!

I don't use any wood just for steaks. The charcoal flavor and the searing flavor are plenty.

Comment

If you use a strong flavor wood like mesquite you may notice a smoke flavor, but I usually don’t add wood.

Comment

I usually do my steaks on the RecTec and sear on the kettle/SnS. We like the smoke flavor on steaks that comes from the pellets.
        Last edited by DWCowles; December 31, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• randy56
          randy56 commented
          Editing a comment
          X2 on Rec Tec,

I think this is a personal taste issue. If you like some smoke on your steaks, go for it; however, charcoal is usually enough on a ribeye.

Comment

Thanks y'all! I'll try it without woodchunks and see how it goes.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            I think this would be your best choice for your first cook like this. You can always adjust accordingly on your next cook.
            Personally I like more of a natural fire taste as opposed to a Smokey flavor on my steaks. But that also depends on what kind of steak you’re cooking. Sometimes a little smoke is Good.
            Looking forward to seeing some pics when you’re done.

I have cooked steaks using the reverse sear technique on a ranch in south Texas. Mesquite is plentiful on the ranch and it gives a distinctive Texas flavor to the steaks. I recommend using charcoal briquets with a mesquite chunk, get the mesquite chunk fully lit, then pick it up with tongs and blow out the flames. Place the smoldering chunk at the edge of the lighted charcoal pile so that it will smoke rather than flame up. Post oak also makes a great steak flavor.

Comment

Mesquite or oak

Comment

I think ribeyes, especially grass fed, are so delectable they don't need smoke. I season them well with S&P then sear them quickly over hot charcoal then indirect for a few minutes per side. I like 'em with a little moo still left in 'em. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Comment

I used hickory in a Weber today and the ribeyes had a nice smokey flavor but not overpowering. I didn't place the wood chips on the coals until the meat hit about 80 degrees.

Comment

• HorseDoctor
                  HorseDoctor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love a little hickory smoke for a short cook like a burger or steak. Assertive enough to impart a little smoke flavor without being overpowering. Same with mesquite though I've used it less, living in Iowa and all...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here