Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole Prime packers, $2.99/lb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole Prime packers, $2.99/lb!

Whole prime grade packers, $2.99/lb at Costco in Atlanta! First time I've ever seen whole packers here period, never mind prime grade! Stock up!
    Attached Files

Shoot Dang!!!
    Do they ship?????

Comment

• Danjohnston949
      Danjohnston949 commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, "CUZ" Thanks For Your Call Lasr Night❗️ I Enjoyed Solving The Problems of The World As Only 2 Country Boys Can❓❓
      Shoot Bones Jump in Your "CHEVY" and Drive to HOTLANTA AND PICK
      OUT YOUR OWN BRISKETS❓❓ 🤗😇🤗
      ☃ 🎄 🎄 "HAPPY HOOLADAYS AS THE CANADIANS SAY❓🎄 🎄 ☃
      From a Backyard Cremator and Your Friend in Fargo ND, Dan

Someone must have just ditched them when the airport shut down for 11hrs the other day. Had that happened while I was there, RIP JB.

Comment

Costco in Memphis started stocking them a couple months ago, I have 2 of them in my freezer right now. Finally, I have been trying to get those for 3 or 4 years with no luck until now. I was in there Monday and they still had 6 to 8 in the display case. I wish I had more freezer space so I could get a few more of them because you never know if or when they will go away and you will never see them again.

Comment

• gabulldog
        gabulldog commented
        Editing a comment
        How well do they freeze? You notice any difference?

• vandy
        vandy commented
        Editing a comment
        I have not tried to cook one of them yet so not quite sure. I did double vacuum seal them over the package they came in so I hope that helps.

They are spreading - slowly. I was told by the head butcher at my local Costco that they wouldn't sell in my area. When corporate made the local Costco stock them on a trial basis, they sold out pronto and are now there all the time.

Comment

Congratulations!
        Turn them over. A lot of the ones we have been getting lately in Va have a massive chunk of that hard white fat down the back. Dig around to find one with less if you can. They are good but just a fyi. Let us know if yours looks better.

Comment

• gabulldog
          gabulldog commented
          Editing a comment
          I did notice a few like that as I was fondling each and every one in the cooler! Found one with a thick flat and not a lot of hard fat on the bottom side...

I picked up one of these yesterday for the same price of $2.99 per pound at the Costco in Huntsville, Alabama. Like HawkerXP says, I picked through them for a while, as most of them had a LOT of fat on them. Most of the ones they had here were 12 pounds, with a few 16 and 20 pounds. I went for a 16, which will likely be 12 after trimming the fat.

Comment

Ok, those were packed on 12/22 with a "sell by" date of 12/29. Unlike most meat, where the label says "use or freeze by", this just says "sell by" the 29th. The one I got yesterday at my Costco says to sell by 12/28, and was packed on 12/20. What is the "safe" date to use these by, not knowing when it was processed at the meat packer?

Comment

• gabulldog
            gabulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead talks briefly about "wet aging" beef in his article "Buying beef: Beef Grades..." which just means leaving it in the cryovac in the coldest part of the fridge for up to a month. I wet aged by last choice packer for a little over a month to try and tenderize it a bit and it turned out great.

• gabulldog
            gabulldog commented
            Editing a comment
            I know others on this forum have aged theirs longer--not sure what is technically "safe" but you definitely don't have to cook it by the "sell by" date.

jfmorris yeah but they don't mean it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5F17807D-B8CA-4D26-94D0-880284D3CF6C.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	427512
            This will be my third Costco prime and if it’s anything like the last two, FANTASTIC! Great price too.
            Because of the last two instead of ham my family for the 1st time in 30 years asked for brisket instead of ham. On the KJ tonight, for family party tomorrow. High expectations wish me luck!
            ​​​​​​

Comment

• gabulldog
              gabulldog commented
              Editing a comment
              Score! Post pics of the finished product, please!

Looks great! Good luck!

Comment

As far as date... I just opened and trimmed a Costco Prime packer last night. It was "packed" on 10/15, and it's been sitting in my fridge. "Sell by" date I think was 10/22 or something. From what I've read, actual packing date could have been as early as 2 weeks prior to the marked packing date.

So, in essence, if we go by a "possible" packing date of 10/1, my brisket could be anywhere from 69 to 83 days wet-aged. I've kept it in the bottom of the refrigerator since I purchased it.

I started getting a bit worried that it was going to be too old, so I actually got another one last week so I would have a "backup" if I opened it up and it smelled funky at all.

But last night I took it out and trimmed it up, and it smelled fine. There were a couple of spots on the bottom side (I did flip it a couple times) that were a darker brown - not like spoiled, but like you get when blood settles or something? I trimmed these off with the fat. But the smell was perfect. I spent a lot of time cutting meat in a couple steakhouses, so I know a bit about rotating our stock of top butts and ribeyes and loins to allow them to wet age in the sealed plastic and this one smelled just the same as any others - in fact, I found it a bit milder than the top butts and ribeyes and such I was used to. I wondered if it was because this was my first brisket and the much much larger content of hard fat layers made it different. I don't know.

Either way, I'm not the least bit worried about cooking this up tonight/tomorrow for Christmas Eve dinner. How well my first whole packer brisket will go, I don't know, but any problems won't be because of the wet aging, I can tell you that.

BTW, now it is trimmed, rubbed with a homemade rub I made "by eye" and sitting open air in the fridge to dry out a bit.

Can't wait!

Comment

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, that's great to know. Please post pics here and let us know how it tastes! I always use the rationale that if it doesn't make me sick, it was good to go!

Pics... pics... hmmm.... I always get engrossed in the cook and half the time don't think about pics.

Plus, my hands are often quite contaminated! lol

Here's some video of my most recent escapade in attempting that perfect sear:

Comment

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                Now that I hadn't tried!

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nothing better than cooking with fire 🔥

Originally posted by gabulldog View Post
              Whole prime grade packers, $2.99/lb at Costco in Atlanta! First time I've ever seen whole packers here period, never mind prime grade! Stock up!
              I'm envious. We only have Sam's Club in our area and they haven't even heard of prime packers, much less at $2.99/lb.

Kathryn

Comment

• gabulldog
                gabulldog commented
                Editing a comment
                I almost got a Sam's membership just because they carried whole packers and Costco didn't. Funny how it varies so much from market to market...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here