Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

And I Thought I Understood Beef Grading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And I Thought I Understood Beef Grading

Interesting. Thanks

Comment

That's a good read. And makes me want to only look for stuff like CAB choice, versus the prime that might be a dairy cow or something less desirable.

Comment

thanks for the education!

Comment

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I got an education myself!

I have seen choice with better marbling than the prime at the same store.

Comment

• TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, so have I. I always check the marbling and go by that. If choice is better marbled, I buy it.

We're all essentially eating veal, not beef. It's all too young. It's not really beef until it's 3 years old. You see the best steaks around the world, and most of them come from cows that are older. Steak (R)evolution in an interesting documentary about that.

Comment

I've stuck with CAB recently mainly because of consistency. It's the only brand my butcher carries. It's probably best described as "high choice". They do offer a CAB Prime but he rarely carries it because it doesn't seem to sell (expensive). Outside of that I agree with the article, the choice strips and rib eyes at Costco and Sam's are just as good as most of the so-called prime I've seen and costs 15-20% less. I'm afraid we get jaded and way over think what is generally some pretty good meat nationwide.

Comment

It's a great article. I sure learned a lot!

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, nothing is as simple as it seems, especially when someone is selling something...

Very educational, an' informative article!
            Many thanks fer postin' this
            (Still tryin to figger out what grade "Manager's Special is")

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              I think "managers special" means it is going to rot in a couple of days.

• shush
              shush commented
              Editing a comment
              Roughly 15-20 years ago, the Food Lion near us got in a heap of trouble because they kept re-labeling their meats. The were so lazy, they didn't even remove the previous labels. I still do not buy meat there. I have seen "Manager's Special" and "Butcher's Choice" put over expiration dates and prices marked down. No thanks.

Willy , thanks for posting. Great Read!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here