Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold weather brisket, brrrrrrr!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold weather brisket, brrrrrrr!

It’s 14*, 9PM, our daughter and her man are coming from South America to visit, and I promised them a brisket when they get here tomorrow.

I guess I gotta light the BGE and start trimming the meat. Usually I’m up for it, but I want to do this like I want a new hole in my head. I’m just going to think about how much they’ll enjoy it.

You got this man. Nothing to it. The egg will handle it while your warm in the crib. Well mostly anyway.

Comment

Lots of layers and lots of antifreeze should do the trick.

Comment

I bet you are just fine. Although getting that charcoal and everything else ready cause a chill. For a great reason though.

Comment

14 degrees? Just move the BGE into the kitchen!

Comment

A sharp knife and some season. Light your fire 🔥 and come up Aces!! Aren't those suckers (BGE) thick like bank vaults?

Huevos and brisket for breakfast!!

Comment

I prefer to smoke in cold weather, but it almost never gets that cold in Texas. Was in Tunics once with my wife when it got down to 3°...I thought I had died.

Comment

Yup, it's starting to get a little cold. It's really not a big deal though. Occasional trips to check on things aren't as bad as staying out in it.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	64FDA4FF-283A-467B-B9F2-3A665A9CA87E.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	423679

Comment

Name:	98D6F3C4-BFD2-4DB4-B871-D22473E59894.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	423681

Comment

Name:	9ED1C5F6-C32B-44EA-972B-C82842180D41.jpeg
Views:	105
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	423684

Comment

A couple notes:

First, this is one fine piece of meat. I’ve always gone for the SRF Black, this is the SRF RR Ranch, and it is really impressive. The point is HUGE.

Second, I didn’t separate point from flat this time. I’m off tomorrow, but I have a work meeting at 10AM that will take a couple hours. So I am keeping the thickness, going at 225* instead of 250*, and, with it being choice grade instead of Kobe I figure it will take longer, more like 12 hours instead of the 8 or 9 that the Black grade takes at 250*.

I always go a little crazy when I trim these. I know I’m supposed to leave a little more on, but I just get carried away. Honestly they come out fine, great even. I expect the same this time.

I don’t have a smoker box. What I do is, I make one out of a couple of aluminum throw away loaf pans. One on top of the other, wood inside, crimp the edges and poke holes in the bottom. Then bury it in the coals. The smoke smells so sweet!

I inject, but I don’t wrap. I probably WOULD wrap, if the stall wasn’t at 5AM.

I got got lucky with brisket. The first one was dry, all the rest have been excellent. SRF probably has a lot to do with that, but still.

Comment

Brisket is looking good. Can’t say the same about the snow though.

Comment

Boy, howdy. I’m doing Brisket this weekend. Expecting freezing weather. Yours looks great! And, you’ll love seeing them eating it! Nice job!

Comment

Looks excellent! I'd travel from South America to get a piece of that too! Good job!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here