Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of cooking one brisket two ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of cooking one brisket two ways

I have a 14# prime packer from Costco and am considering cutting it in half to smoke, and try cooking half sous vide. Can anyone influence me one way or the other if this is a good idea, or if I should just cook it on the smoker? Thanks-

Assuming you plan to do a few hours smoking to complement the SV, I'd do both ways and let us all know what you think.

Comment

I would just smoked it all but that’s me.

Comment

you paid all that money for the SV device, might as well get some use out of it

Comment

Something magical happens to beef in the smoker I'd be hard pressed to do it any other way. I've never really looked into the SV method so I'm not that familiar but from what i have seen at other sites everyone either grills, sears or smokes what ever they had soaking in the SV for hours. Just something about soaking meat in hot water is unappealing to me.
          But I'm just a old school stick burner set in his ways I guess.

Comment

I'm sure SV is terrific for a lot of things, but using it to cook a brisket is a solution in search of a problem, imho. I'd smoke the whole thing.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              I can understand that. But if time isn't a constraint -and it wasn't mentioned by the OP - then I don't see the advantage over just smoking it.

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              There's a chefsteps,com video where Meathead tries their sous vide brisket and he states that it is amazing.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
              DogFaced PonySoldier commented
              Editing a comment
              The guys from Sous Vide Everything on YouTube have done both pork butt and brisket via sous vide. They usually smoked them first, then put them in the bath. They loved it. Worth watching the video.

An option you may have overlooked is sending it to me and I'll attempt it both ways and report back. Just trying to be a team player.

Comment

• allsid
              allsid commented
              Editing a comment
              I will consider that Huskee

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here