Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first attempt at pulled beef. It did not go as planned...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first attempt at pulled beef. It did not go as planned...

Hey guys,

So I recently got my Large BGE and got a couple shorter cooks under my belt and then I decided to try a longer cook and I had a couple Chuck Roasts in my deep freezer. Ive read a bunch of the threads where you guys recommend turning that into pulled beef so I thought I’d give it a try. I thawed out one and thought one wasn’t going to be enough, can you ever have enough? So saturday morning I went to the grocery store and bought another one. I added rub to both and got the egg going about 7:15am. Had the egg open to get the fire started and it took awhile to get it what I now know it is referred to as "heat soaked." It hit temp at 8:00am. I put the meat on and started monitoring temps, both grate and internals of both. I kept an eye on it but wasn’t worried because I’ve read it’s about a 5-6 hour cook. Well the temps began to rise too fast. I check the dome thermometer and its reading 350 when its supposed to be 250. The funny thing is that my ThermoPro grate thermometer never read above 240 I then realize I have the bottom vent too far open(about 1inch and a half) and the top daisy wheel vents 100% open. I then scrambled to crack both the top and bottom. Eventually the temp comes down, but by this point, and hour in the chucks are at 120* internal. They got to 160 after two hours in which I pulled and wrapped in foil and added some warmed up beef broth. It then took only one more hour to get to 205* I know we try to cook to a temp not to a time but it just worried me that they got done too soon and I had to keep them warm for 6+ hours. My company wasn’t coming over until 6pm for supper. I then put in the oven on the coldest temp to not over cook which was 170*. This kept internal temp above 170* until I pulled the beef around 5:30.

The results were better than I thought. It stayed moist and very tender and I would agree that pulled beef is something that’s very good. IMHO better than pulled pork.

Also had to roast some potatoes on the egg because the oven was occupied keeping the pulled beef warm.

Here are some pics of the process. BTW It was hard to not open the foil to peek until I pulled it but the smell and the moistness, if that’s a word, was worth the wait.

After Thawing and adding the rub to the first
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52878.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	422739

Name:	image_52879.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	422740
    After hitting 205* on both Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52876.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	422737

Name:	image_52877.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	422738
    Finished Product

Name:	image_52880.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	422741Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52881.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	422742
    Roasted Potatoes on the Egg Click image for larger version

Name:	image_52882.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	422743
    Last edited by Rjbachtold; December 12, 2017, 11:16 AM.

Looks amazing!

Comment

Looks great! Yeah, pulled beef is amazing! I wish I had tried it years ago.

Comment

Nicely done! Pulled chuck roast is a fan favorite at my house. And so versatile, you can easily have several days of leftovers and not eat the same meal twice.

Comment

Congrats on a successful cook. Please remember that meats can be done either above or below 200*. What you need to do is smoke until probe tender. That's when a probe will go in without any resistance - like a knife in warm butter.

How was the bark? I ask because a lot of people here will smoke unwrapped until the bark is well formed, and then wrap. If you go to ~ 180*, the bark will be much firmer and better able to withstand wrapping. 160* does work, but higher might be better - depending on what you want.

Comment

Ya I think I pulled a bit early. When I poured some broth in it washed some of the rub off.

Comment

When doing pulled beef I always take the IT temp to 210 degrees and then cambro it for at least 2 hrs.

Comment

• Steve R.
                Steve R. commented
                Editing a comment
                Same here. I know probe tender is the real test, but that 210 IT is dead on, in my experience. Wrap at stall, 1 hr at 210 and 2+ hrs cambro is my magic formula.

Yeah I think that would’ve worked well if getting to that internal temp would’ve been at like 3:00 so the 2 hours in the Cambro would have put me at 5 in time to pull and rest, but with it done at 11am, I had to improvise with the oven.

Comment

Looks great - nice job!

Comment

sounds (and looks) like a good save to me! when's dinner?

Comment

Looks awesome! Chuck roasts are more popular in my house than pulled pork, which reminds me it's time to smoke some soon.

Comment

Looks Wonderful! Pulled beef is great.

Comment

Looks awesome, like the Taters too.

Comment

Very, very nice. Now I gotta go eat something.

Comment

• HouseHomey
                            HouseHomey commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Right???

Wonderful!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here