Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’m searching for the ULTIMATE sear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also use a Big Green Egg Chiminea to sear steak but it is almost too hot and fast.
    I've had my BGE chiminea for 20 years--way back in the day they came out with a blue BGE chiminea and I managed to snag one.
    I remove the exhaust cone on it and there is a built in ember screen that prevents embers from flying out the top. About 8 inch diameter and perfect for searing steaks. My grand daughter loves to roast hot dogs and marshmallows with the cone on.
    It is a fire breathing contraption. You have to control the fire by using the top cap just like cooking on an egg. Remove the top cap and it will shoot flame 2' out the top of the chimney.
    I'm not sure if BGE still makes a chiminea?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think they do. You got lucky!

I use a searzall, works beautifully and it's relatively cheap and easy.

I've also used a grate over a chimney starter full of coals.. it's stupid hot and takes seconds.

Steakhouses use salamanders or similar devices, they're perfect just pricey.

Comment

The winner was what they called a "flamethrower" but it is essentially a large propane torch. You can get them at hardware stores, I got mine from Harbor Freight, cost me $30. They're listed as weed burner or propane torch when you search. It hooks directly to the propane cylinder for your gas grill. I haven't tried mine out yet, I'm going to build a proper "searing station" outside to make it easier and safer. I could do it on my grill, but... well, I think I just want an excuse to build a custom searing station!

Oh, and they used an expensive salamander in their testing, too. The torch won out over all of them, with the Weber kettle a close second, I think.

I use a Searzall, and I like it, but it is Godawful slow, sadly.

Comment

Well this thread was on my mind last night when I cooked a couple ribeyes for my birthday (strange, since I joined the pit, I always seem to cook for my own parties). I tried the afterburner method and lonnie mac's method of starting with it under the chimney. The steaks were just about 1" thick, so I didn't bother with reverse sear.

See pics below. The last one is the afterburner, it got a darker sear than the under-chimney steak, though both had a great sear. Man that chimney gets hot! My wife and daughter ate the afterburner steak, and they finished it before I ate mine, so I guess it turned out pretty good!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171212_195152.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	423107

Name:	IMG_20171212_194859.jpg
Views:	497
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	423109

Name:	IMG_20171212_201153.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	423108

Name:	IMG_20171212_201157.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	423110

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
          DogFaced PonySoldier commented
          Editing a comment
          So your birthday dinner was a nice steak with plain old white rice? I'm sorry, I just don't think of rice as much of an anything. lol. It's a bed for something else, mostly! lol

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful Job, that!
          Happy Birthday, @PBCDad!

• treesmacker
          treesmacker commented
          Editing a comment
          First, Happy Birthday! 🎂 I just have to ask - isn't there some "burnt" taste to that crust? I've had steaks before with burnt exterior and didn't really care for them. I'm thinking of some of the steaks I had at the Szzler many years ago. I know, I could just go a little lighter, but I'm wondering if some of you like a charcoal taste on it?

Watched the youtube competition all the way to the conclusion for the best steak sear on the series: "Sous Vide Everything"
        (On The Quest For Perfection - Series E1, E2, E3, E4, and E5)
        -
        I am trying to find the best way to reverse sear a steak after either Smoking to doneness or going with the Sous Vide to doneness.
        -
        You Tube Contestants:
        1) Weber Kettle Slow & Sear
        2) Chimney Starter
        3) Cast Iron Skillet (Dry, then with Oil, as well as with Ghee)
        4) Several torches
        5) Cave Man Style (right on the charcoal)
        6) Otto Wilde
        7) Household Regular Oven Seared
        8) Searzall
        9) Deep Fried in Oil
        10) Cryo (Liquid Nitrogen)

Sous Vide Everything Review and Bottom Line:
        The cheap flamethrower used to sear won the steak flavor test according to the tasters.
        (3, 4 and 5 different individuals)
        -
        So...
        After the reviews and after reading this thread, I went and bought the Flamethrower today at Harbor Freight.
        Decided to go with the $20 model without the sometimes faulty igniter which adds $10 to the price.
        -
        Lit it up and it ROARS and throws a scary flame.
        Did some weed control and it is amazing for that use.
        Will do the weeds growing in-between the bricks tomorrow.
        -
        Of course, I'll ALSO use the flamethrower to sear some Beef Ribeye Steaks sometime in the near future and report the results.
        -
        My methods so far to sear great steaks (1-1/4" to 2" thick) have been:
        1) Off-Set Smoker Fire Box with the steaks over Charcoal/Mesquite Chunks.
        2) 22-1/2" Weber Kettle with the steaks over Charcoal and sometimes Charcoal and Mesquite Chunks.
        3) KBQ Grill Topper with the steaks over Charcoal + Mesquite or charcoal + Oak splits.
        -
        I will report the results back here in time...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Lookin' forward to yer results, Bill!
          Don't ferget th' Mesquite, Brother!
          I don't never...

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Definitely looking forward to your results / thoughts!!!!

I have had success on my last two sears with two similar methods using cast iron on the kettle. One was burgers, one was steak.

I put the skillet directly on the coals and warmed the burgers up on the kettle grate. I seared them in about a minute on each side.

I did the steaks, sous vide to 129, I put the skillet directly over the Vortex on the grate.

Both put a really fast sear on the meat. but the steaks took a little longer. They were about an inch thick (a little thin, but that is all they had). The internal temp after the sear was probably a little over 135, but they were delicious and got rave reviews!

Comment

If I could just keep my tongs from melting...
          Attached Files

Comment

Open flame sear is what I have always done. I love the flavor of a good charred steak done on a open flame. My offsets have fire boxes that open on the top. I open the top and throw a a few oak splits on and let the flame get leaping hot. Throw a grate over the flame and then throw the steaks on about a minute a side. Just love that flavor!

Comment

Originally posted by Frozen Smoke View Post
              Open flame sear is what I have always done. I love the flavor of a good charred steak done on a open flame. My offsets have fire boxes that open on the top. I open the top and throw a a few oak splits on and let the flame get leaping hot. Throw a grate over the flame and then throw the steaks on about a minute a side. Just love that flavor!
              Right there with ya brother.

Name:	4 IMG_7289.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	425597

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah yes... the OLDEST of all sears.
                The "Caveman" sear.

I know this is on Amazing Ribs somewhere, but I found another copy of the video. I think this is the ultimate sear.

Join the web’s most supportive community of creators and get high-quality tools for hosting, sharing, and streaming videos in gorgeous HD with no ads.

Best regards,
              Jim

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                Editing a comment
                Holy moly! Those dogs are cinder, and that fish looks almost like it, too! That last steak they put directly on the lava is ruined, in my opinion. Sure looked like fun, though! lol

• BBQ_Steve-O
                BBQ_Steve-O commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got volcanos all around me, next time one of em blows up, I'll have remember to cook a steak over lava before I haul ass outta dodge! :-D

VERY nice post!
              The last one directly on the molten flow seared incredibly fast!
              About 12 seconds and it was black, very black.
              Maybe 6 seconds per side would do it nicely.
              -
              Never saw such a thing before!
              Too cool, or should I say, Lava Hot!
              -
              Could very well be the best sear ever!
              (But tough for me to try to duplicate)
              LOL!
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 19, 2017, 07:00 AM. Reason: Watched over and over, and changed my mind regarding doneness.

Comment

The perfect sear, YES this is my quest as well and have just purchased a Lodge CRSGR18 griddle to have hot and ready on the gas grill. Use the reverse sear method - indirect, low and slow until 15 - 20 degrees below target temp and toss the steaks on the hot carbon steel griddle flipping a few times in 30 second intervals.

I'm using a lump charcoal ceramic Primo XL and heat does not rise in the blink of an eye, using the gass grill for searing everything is the answer. The Lodge griddle is $85 on their website but $40 on Amazon - comes pre-seasoned but do it again using high temp avocado oil.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-CRSGR18...+steel+griddle

Comment

Okay Mr. Bones, (and anyone else interested)
                  Here are the results on my 1st testing of the Harbor Freight Flame Thrower when used as a searing device.
                  This Flame Throwers sear for beef brisket is fast and furious and I am impressed by the speed of the sear and the flavor of the meat afterwards.
                  There were some small bits of meat and fat stuck to the Weber grill after the sear.
                  Next time I will coat the grill or maybe the meat with oil.
                  Upon scraping these bits of meat and fat off and of course, tasting them, they tasted really great to the 3 "inspectors" checking this thing out.
                  -
                  The unit if/when used as a "Searing Device" however, is not without some concerns.
                  1) The MAJOR and I think serious problem in my opinion is the gold colored plating on the large nozzle.
                  The intense heat makes this plating bubble up, peel, and then... yup, not good as it flakes and comes off.
                  Reading other reviewers reports, and knowing this could be a concern, before I attempted searing meat, I spent a fair amount of time testing, and heating up the nozzle so that the plating would bubble up and get loose so I could scrape it off.
                  NOT being interested in Zinc Yellow Chromate plating on my Brisket or Ribs, this flakey plating had to go before searing beef!
                  -
                  2) Another problem mentioned by other reviewers was what I experienced as well.
                  The torch kept going out, so I was continually listening to the sound that it makes when it is lit, burning good, and working well, and relighting it when it went out.
                  My method was to use a smaller propane torch to keep it lit.
                  By adjusting the large propane bottle valve to reduce the amount of gas available, I had better success in keeping this large torch lit.
                  I also discovered that if I kept the torch valve on the handle turned off, when I squeezed the torch handle, it would light and work in the "turbo" mode, which is what I wanted to sear the beef.
                  When I let go of the handle, it would stop the gas flow completely and therefore shut the flame down.
                  I liked that feature and this is how I used it to sear some prime briskets for today's smoke.

Name:	Hot & Fast!.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	431147Click image for larger version

Name:	Sizzling!.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	189.8 KB
ID:	431148
                  Sear City! Fat Side Too! (SO yummy!)

Name:	No More Charcoal.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	431145
                  No more charcoal! Woo Hoo!

Name:	Flakey.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	431146
                  Flakey

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    Editing a comment
                    Possibly, it IS an inexpensive torch after all. I am not sure if there are higher-end or more durable ones out there. Look below for my video using this for searing!

• HorseDoctor
                    HorseDoctor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I've been using a Red Dragon propane torch for about 20 years. Burns weeds, brush piles, controlled prairie burns and makes an awesome charcoal lighter!!! Not seared much with it but it does very well roasting peppers! I've finally about got it worn out but it has held up very well! Will replace with same brand soon.

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    HorseDoctor ~20 years has been a good, long ride... (tips cowboy hat)
                    Great product, hope they still th' same today!
                    I love this, in a product, personally.

Very cool science experiment, Bill!
                  Many thanks fer sharin' with us!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                    BBQ_Bill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No problem. Happy to post it.
                    It was fun and established the way I will sear beef from now on Mr. Bones.

Here was my experiment with the "flamethrower" a couple days before Christmas with a sous vide ham to sear the glaze before we took it over to the shelter. I spatchcocked a turkey, as well, but the wife wouldn't let me try it on that, I wanted to see how well it would crisp up the skin!

Comment

• treesmacker
                    treesmacker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's awesome - looks like fun! I would love it, my wife would be very nervous! I think it might be great for burning debris off of grates before brushing!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here