Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some assistance with cooking method...beef round tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some assistance with cooking method...beef round tip

I was planning on firing up a pork shoulder for a gathering this weekend on my PBC and offered to cook whatever the host wanted in parallel. They ended up buying a 10 pound beef round tip from Costco and I have no freaking clue how to cook it on my PBC. Of course i answered with a confident "no problem" when asked if I was still willing to cook it before skurrying off to the pit for advice. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

oh and my oven options are PBC and a Webber gas grill.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Meatyorology; November 16, 2017, 05:21 PM.

I'm not sure, but remember that you shouldn't cook a round roast in a square pot.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Jokes thread! LOL.

I think the "round" cuts are all pretty lean, so low and slow probably will kill it. I had a bottom round roast that I made into half Baltimore Pit Beef, half Italian Beef sandwiches. Both were really good, and I give a slight edge to the Italian Beef because of the broth that goes with it - lots of flavor. Hard to get the broth in the PBC though, so may be a candidate for your gasser.

Comment

Agree with PBCDad. Baltimore pit beef &/or Italian beef sandwiches with whatever equipment will work best... or jerky. Don’t let someone else’s questionable choice of meat become your problem. 😜

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Sage advise, my friend.

Smoke it to 120°-125 ish. Slice it paper thin. A good roll and some horseradish

Comment

The site’s recipe for Baltimore Pit Beef is really good and we do one almost every week. Slice thin across the grain, some raw onion, and a little horsey sause and you have a winner. The leftovers really make a unique and great tasting stroganoff.

Comment

Round can be great eats too. All the above is good advice. Like Jon and DonW said with horsey sauce and sliced Bin. It doesn't have to suck if cut him and mid rare or rare. Can serve with a heated up sammich right from the grill with crusty bread and just warm meat and horseradish. Or cold with fixings too. Thin and flavor is the name of the game. You can crust it too. Love the au jus idea too worth the sangwich.

Pit beef sounds great.

This has great beefy flavor just not a lot of good fat.
          Good lUck and great eats my friend.

Comment

Thank you all for the tip, much appreciated.

Comment

I would also consider injecting with some beef broth or other liquids to add some extra moisture.

Comment

Thanks for the tips everyone, abput 2.5 hours on the PBC at 260ish and it turned out amazing. I used meatheads beef rub on it too. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171118_211529.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	412353

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here