Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Sirloin - First try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top Sirloin - First try

All, I've learned so much from this group. It's 100% contrarian to the way I learned. Results show I was wrong. I'm cooking two top sirloin steaks tonight in an effort to fight the cost of beef. My ribeyes have turned out with amazing results.

1. Should I make any changes to what I've use for ribeye?
    2. What's the best top sirloin recipe you have ever used?
    3. How good can this cut really get???

My plan is to cook internal to 110 using a cook of 225, then sear lid open (flipping often) until 130. BTW, I plan to use my new Thermapen to test temp once we head to sear. The steaks are 1 inch thick. Next time, I'll get 2".

Top sirloin is a great underrated cut. Personally I wouldn't change anything, I would do it the same way as the ribeye. A good marinade I use for flank or flat iron, that would work for any steak. Balsimic vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil honey, and rosemary. I usually eyeball it so I don't have exact measurements.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that "olive oil, honey" or "olive oil honey" ?

I have not done it yet but giving a top sirloin a sous vide bath at 125-130 for a few hours prior to a good hot sear is on my "to do" list! Seems like it should be awesome.

Comment

• Baltassar
      Baltassar commented
      Editing a comment
      Not familiar with top sirloin, but try-tip is bottom sirloin, and sous vide works very well with that cut.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Done it, works great. Same method as top round, chuck or sirloin. To add even more dimension, try smoking for about an hour or so to pick up some added flavor prior to SV bath.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Danjohnston949 you crack me up!

Top Sirloin has a lot of flavor and the way you plan to cook is just right. i wouldn't be shy with the salt/pepper/garlic powder etc. if it is a thick steak. I sometimes get some "prime" sirloin cut like a filet and they are wonderful.

Comment

Top sirloin is a tender enough cut, don't change anything. Not true of all cuts, but it should work well for that one.

Comment

This is all good to know. Thanks, guys, for the tips. I've got some top sirloin in the fridge now and thought it had to be sous-vided in order to be as tender as a ribeye. Good to know I can reverse sear it instead. I like the flavor of reverse-seared steaks much better than SV/sear.

Kathryn

Comment

• Danjohnston949
          Danjohnston949 commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc, Kathryn , I didn't mean some Sirloin May be Bad❗️ The Flavor will be Good it's the Palatabilty that Differs❓ My Parents had a Meat Market when I was a Kid, I worked Part Time at it❗️ They raised Their Own Cattle, we Butchered and Cut It❗️ I still remember Wrapping Sirloin Steak for People @ $1.65 / # ❓
          From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd still recommend SV Kathryn then reverse sear. Amazing results....

• Thunder77
          Thunder77 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love doing top sirloin. I sometimes even like it better than ribeye, which while it is a delicious cut, it can be a bit too rich for me.

I too grew up eating a lot of sirloin. My father always had the butcher cut it a solid 2" thick (or more). So thick the butcher always labeled it sirloin roast. From a grain finished critter the flavor is unbeatable, but the tenderness is not "prime rib". If it was, it would cost as much as prime rib. Not that sirloin is necessarily tough, but I still wonder if "sous vide & seared" will be the best of both worlds,that being tender and super beef flavored... Will try it soon and report...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          We'll be waiting for your findings!

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm telling you, that's a recipe for some tasty steak. Do the same with top round.

That was sort of my thought, HorseDoctor , that sous vide + sear would be the best approach for top sirloin if tenderness is my goal. If taste is my goal, I guess I would try reverse searing.

Once gainfully employed, I stopped eating anything with the "sirloin" name in it because while growing up, it was always prepared pan-fried to shoe leather toughness. That and anything with "round" in its name--top round, bottom round etc.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Kathyrn. The thinner cuts can go reverse Sear, the thicker cuts SV/sear. IMHO either way will,be great. I've done them thinner and direct heat, reverse etc... if it's good meat, you'll be fine. I would start with reverse Sear and move on from there on your next cook. They have great flavor. I love how picky we all are now to notice the subtleties.

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh. Oh...oh.... BTW, top sirloin Loves a teriyaki bath and jasmine rice!!!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes it do!

All, it turned out to be very good. I tried a piece that was closer to medium than MR. It was more tender than the MR piece. Could be a fluke, but I 'm sure someone here can explain.

Comment

Kathyrn. The thinner cuts can go reverse Sear, the thicker cuts SV/sear. IMHO either way will,be great. I've done them thinner and direct heat, reverse etc... if it's good meat, you'll be fine. I would start with reverse Sear and move on from there on your next cook. They have great flavor. I love how picky we all are now to notice the subtleties.
          Yup, we seem to be a pretty picky bunch, HouseHomey . Thanks for the tips, from one picky pitster to another.

Kathryn

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            😀😀😀😀

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here