Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet age after Cryovac Opening?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet age after Cryovac Opening?

I have a local shop that is going to sell me 2 CAB brisket points. I made a point last Thanksgiving (along with the Turkey!) and it was big hit.

I am picking up the points tomorrow 11/10. Since they will be removing from the Cryovac packaging and cutting off the points for me....

1) Can I wrap well and wet age for 12 days. I plan on smoking them on Wednesday - we are celebrating Thanksgiving early this year (don't ask...)
    2) Trim them up as soon as I get them, dry brine for 2 days and freeze for a week

Suggestions are welcome!

Great question. Typically once you open it up you don't want to wet age anymore, since now you've introduced whatever's in the air to it. I'd at least vacuum pack it again. No chance you can buy those whole briskets and use the flats for pastrami or another cook?

Safest option is def to freeze them...but I don't really know if it's necessary for a 12-day re-wet-age or not. I look forward to an authoritative answer on this one to add to my collection of what we've learned from each other around here!

Comment

12 day wet-age really isn't going to do anything.

I've bought brisket that was trimmed and simply tray packed and that stuff went bad pretty quick.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will trim up, dry brine and freeze until smoke time

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here