Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smaller style Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smaller style Brisket

Hi.
    Just looking for some hints and tips on low and slow brisket. I have a small flat brisket only about 4lb,I have done a couple before but they always end up on the dry side.
    I have been cooking to Meatheads recommendations,do you think the meat quality or fat content influence the results.
    cheers

The flat is a lean meat. The more marbling the less dryer it will be. Some people inject them with beef broth.

Comment

• Beno
      Beno commented
      Editing a comment
      ok I have tried the beef broth . I'm thinking its the marbling this piece seems to have a bit more then the others.Oh well practice makes perfect
      cheers

As mentioned above, the flat is lean like sirloin. Take a sirloin up to 200 internal and you almost have a brisket flat.

Best to just have a good Mop Sauce for those dry times.

Comment

As the others have said, the flat has less fat than the point. If you’ve dry-brined far enough in advance and injected, then you’re giving it a great chance. Do you wrap at the stall? If not, I’d recommend wrapping once the bark is set (after the stall, typically 170-180F). How long do you Cambro? If two hours, try four. Once you slice, pour some of the juices from the wrap back on the slices.

Comment

I echo @knhfive! I have made several Brisket Flats over the years and have always wrapped in foil with "a little" broth or water. They usually turn out pretty moist and flavorful.

Comment

There are also some tricks of the trade that competition guys use and that includes injecting with products like Butchers BBQ or Kosmos Q, both available on Amazon. They contain a mixture that includes MSG and sodium phosphate. MSG is for additional flavor and the phosphate helps the proteins retain moisture. They simply mix with some liquid, say beef broth, and inject as you normally would. A lot of folks use this products with success.

Comment

i feel like the biggest difference you can do for the flat is to start checking for probe tender at around 195 and then putting it in the cambro for like 2+ hours. it seems like the "cook to temp" fallacy is most problematic for brisket flats because they are so lean.

Comment

Try putting it into an oven bag just before you wrap. It will hold the juices close to the meat.

Comment

Thanks every one good info there

Comment

Buy the highest quality meat you can find and afford. That is a great way to get ahead in the brisket game. As Meathead mentions in his article on Brisket, "Garbage in, Garbage out."

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
                    fuzzydaddy commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Agree 100%. Though I've had some fine select briskets and chuck roasts, buying better quality greatly increases my chances of a juicy outcome.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here