Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooked my first Chuckie...and proved a basic principle!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooked my first Chuckie...and proved a basic principle!

Wanted to do something on this rainy Sunday so why not cook my first Chuckie? So many here have posted mouthwatering chuckp pictures.

Fired up my WSM about 8:45 am and it took about an hour to stabilize around 240. I slathered the 3 pound roast with BBBR.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6A1622F1-8D83-4EE8-8F9C-7D5C2C82560E.jpeg
Views:	97
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	406722

The WSM ready to go under the makeshift shelter - several tarps over the deck above.

Name:	320B0048-7028-4E82-A50D-152CC33D6324.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	406724

Everthing went well and the temperature maintained a decent 249-250 most of the time. When it hit 160 a little over 3 hours in, I wrapped it to get it past the stall. Once it hit 184, I thought I remove the wrap and develop some better bark - bad idea. This is where I prove the evaporation principle of the stall. I checked a scant 30 minuets later and the temp had dropped to 164! Another 20 minutes and 4 more lost degrees forced me to wrap it again...dinnertime was approaching.

The temp rose quickly after the second wrap. A full 6 hours into the cook, the temp reached 190 and I pulled it into the cooler. I wanted sliceable meat.

It sat for 45 minutes or so and was really tasty. The whole family enjoyed and I will definitely be doing it again.

Name:	DE4310D9-3503-4631-BCC8-9859C0ABB9F3.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	406725Click image for larger version

Name:	6900A74B-2E16-410B-B31B-8BD289C04491.jpeg
Views:	75
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	406726
    Attached Files

Good information. Thanks!

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

Looks delicious and a beautiful smoke ring.

Comment

That looks great. I learned a similar lesson saucing ribs before they were done, and the temp went down.

Comment

Its the same reason we sweat.... looks good though, regardless of the science.

Comment

Wonderful!!

Comment

Nice brother. Love chuckies.
                I gotta try slicing them up.
                I’ve Always pulled them
                Maybe they would make great sandwiches ??

Comment

Thanks everyone. I think there will be many more chuck roasts in my future!

Comment

Chuck is the most versatile meat. cook it like brisket (sliced, pulled, burnt end, or chopped) like roast in a crockpot/oven, on a spit medium rare and sliced across the grain, frozen and sliced thin for cheese steak sammiches, smoked and cubed for chili, or even grind it for great burgers/meatloaf/stuffed peppers! Good job!

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oh and don't forget chuck eye steaks!

Great lookin' Chuckie!!!!
                    Makin' me hungry, Amigo!

Comment

Good work there mister. Good thing a little moisture didn’t keep ya from your quest.

Comment

• Psinderson
                        Psinderson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I wasn’t expecting a 20 degree drop! Just wrap her back up and see what happens!

Not sure how I missed this...nice looking brisket-like chuck. So many different ways to make this cut, maybe the most versatile? Nice job !!!

Comment

• Psinderson
                        Psinderson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! Everyone here agrees that there’s more chuck in our future.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here