Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time to do oxtails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time to do oxtails

Been a while since I had done a cook. It's marching band season which means our weekends are full. however, I came across a recipe for oxtails and thought I would give it a try on Sunday. The recipe basically had you smoke them for half the cook and braise the second half.

I purchased a package of oxtails and then saw some short ribs on the shelf and got a pack of them (just 4) as well as I thought they would cook similarly.

I put a beef rub on and let them set for a bit as I did my mis-en-place for the braising liquid. After chopping everything I fired up my PBC. I put the tails and ribs on the grill for 2 hours turning them an hour in (I had them on the grate).

Shortly before the two hours were up I made my braising liquid. I them put the tails and ribs in my cast iron dutch oven and covered in the braising liquid. I had to take one of the rebar our for the life to fit so I put tin foil in to simulate the rebar. After about an hour I turned them. At this point they were looking close. I checked in about 30 more minutes (during this time I made some rice and cornbread) and my temp probe when right through everything so I pulled and let everything rest for about 15 minutes.

It was ok. The flavors were great. The short ribs were perfect. The oxtails needed to cook a bit longer. After reading up a bit more that night I think I need to test for pulling from the bone more than if the probe can just go through. Just means I'll need to make some more soon. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	404941Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_944.jpeg
Views:	165
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	404942

Man they look great! Been wanting to do up a batch. These look like Malcom Reeds cook. Dang dang good looking.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
      Obi-Dan commented
      Editing a comment
      I couldn't remember so I went back and looked. That's who it was. I really like his Youtube Channel.

Looks good!

Comment

never done oxtail, but I will now!

Comment

Awesome flavor, but that tail is always moving so they need a long time cooking to break them down to tender! Haven't seen them in the local stores lately so will have to ask. Hope I won't need to buy a case to get them...

Comment

Oxtails make a great braise! Too bad they've gotten so pricey. Most I see are $4--$5 a pound.

Comment

• Obi-Dan
            Obi-Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            Everything has gotten so pricey.

Way to go!!!

Comment

I am going to be doing ox tail next weekend. I have not decided to use the weber or the PBC but any adjustments to what you posted above Obi-Dan? I was thinking of treating them like chucks and wrapping them when they got to 160. I was not planning on liquid braising. Any thoughts?

Comment

I think oxtail would turn out much better braised than smoked. The bone and all the collagen make a delicious broth/sauce if braised. Velvety and full bodied. The smoke flavor on the tails is undeniably delicious, but I think to get them up to 205 would just dry the guys out.

Comment

Give them a good smoke for flavor and finish with a braise for tender. Have done that with venison shanks. Should work for oxtails.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here