Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Pan or Not To Pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Pan or Not To Pan?

Have always cooked a lot of briskets, shoulders and other clods directly on grill grates. I want the taste directly on the meat as much as possible. In talking to several competition cooks they tell me they nearly always cook in foil pans. From what I've seen there's always a lot of liquid involved as well. Liquid in Pan = Braising. They say they don't need to worry about the bark on the bottom since they keep the fat cap down anyway. The big advantage I see is its a heck of a lot less cleanup. Less Cleaning = Happy Troutman. Since I'm a backyard want-a-be doing things competition style is of little or no interest to me (like cooking a whole brisket to get the 5 best internal slices). Just wondering what ya'll's thoughts are one way or the other?

Never tried it. I do get a lot of liquid out of my Brisket. Success may depend on the cooking temperature. Lots to think about.

Comment

I always put my brisket on a top shelf with a pan below. I start my pan with water both for moisture and more smoke ring. By the end of the cook the water has evaporated but the pan is filled with drippings that I usually put in a jar in the freezer to remove the fat. If I do pulled pork I reincorporate the liquid, if brisket I warm it and have it on the side or do smoked french dip. My last 2 briskets I have done at 260 and skipped wrapping at all until I rested them. They have been the best I have ever done and with a pan underneath there is next to no clean up.

Comment

I foil the DnG and collect the drippings there. No wrap until I hold in a faux cambro.

Comment

I do a lot of indirect. I pretty much always have a drip pan, but below the level of the grid with the meat on it. Takes care of most of the mess, catches juices, etc.

Comment

Okay maybe I'm not making myself clear, I'm talking about cooking IN a pan; not a drip or water pan below the meat. Talked with 3 competition guys and all use them.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I knew that was your question. I use "in the pan" for turkeys, but not much else. Comes out fine! Guess it's mostly a matter of what kind of texture you want on the "down" side. Like you said.

I have never done the pan method but I recommend doing it both ways and seeing which you like best.

Comment

lately I have been cooking on the grates until 150-165 then use a pan and two sheets of foil to crutch.

Comment

I think we all understand. We just don't do it that way. I do like the idea of having a pan underneath. I haven't even done that.

Comment

I also smoke on the grate until 165 then I wrap and pan (pulled pork and brisket). I like the pan after I wrap as it prevents the foil from ripping if you accidently slide it across the grates or have to move it.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sounds like a good plan, may try that !!

I always start brisket or pork butt on the
                  grates for about 3 hours to get smoke ring
                  on all sides. The put in foil pan with loose foil
                  on top. Catches the juice and is easy to cambro or store.
                  Pork butt will chill in the pan overnight and slice about 1/4” thick for sandwiches.

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hey Oakgrovebacon you won't happen to be a Salukis would you? Had some buddies I grew up with attend SIU.

• Oakgrovebacon
                    Oakgrovebacon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No, not a Salukis - I did not pursue the college route after high school. I went to work after high school and have been at it ever since. It seems like that 40 years has gone by in a blink. The last couple of years the food has gotten better after finding Amazing Ribs!

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yea its funny how time passes. I left Illinois in 1975 and never looked back. Now I find myself looking in the mirror and thinking "where did the time go" ?

Troutman I feel like if I want braised meat I can do that in the oven or on top of the stove, but that's just my opinion. I've never been to a competition or eaten bbq prepared comp style, but from what I've gathered on this site I don't think I would like to eat it as much as I do backyard bbq. Again, I may be spouting an ignorant opinion, so feel free to disregard.

Comment

• EdF
                    EdF commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's ok - I'm iggorant too!

• FireMan
                    FireMan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    EdF, you been drinking again, iggorant? Com’on budy straighten out.

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    LMAO, you guys crack me up ! Yea I agree with you hoovarmin I'm thinking the comp guys are counting on a little braise for tenderness. They get the bark going on top and braise the bottom for softness. May try it with a separated point I got in the freezer as an experiment.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here