Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian grain fed strip steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian grain fed strip steaks

I've never had Australian grain fed beef before and it's not something I usually see but for the price I couldn't pass up these thick cuts today. Looking for suggestions on how to grill them or any other way to cook them. What should I expect flavor wise from these?

It's pouring down rain pretty much all day so I'm getting the tailgate tent ready for a dry spell if they're getting grilled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_095254.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	402718

Treat them like a regular strip steak. Reverse sear

Comment

This is the way I would go:

Everyone agrees: grill marks = flavor. The brown crust that forms due to the exposure of meat to high heat produces the most flavorful bites.

Comment

• spoon
        spoon commented
        Editing a comment
        I tried it on the Weber charcoal baskets and and now I have another reason to get a S&S for it Rotating it did give me a nice sear but not as well as the s&s probably would.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        spoon - The key to a good sear that doesn't overcook the steak is to have the meat as close to the hot coals as possible. So either raise the charcoal somehow, or use a SnS.

However you do them don’t forget to post pics

Comment

SV and Sear in cast iron if your stuck inside.

Comment

• spoon
          spoon commented
          Editing a comment
          ALMOST came inside but had a break to the the canopy up so I gave it a shot. Next time I may bust out the cast iron if it's that miserable out

we usually feed out our calves on breeder cubes and grain before we butcher them...WAY better than grass fed if you ask me.

Comment

Here are a few pics from last night. Rain really picked up and temps dropped but still got a good med-rare out of it. They seemed a little bland and my first thought was this would be awesome with compound butter or a grilling oil. For the price I'd play around again.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_180818.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	403074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_182113_008.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	403073Click image for larger version

Name:	20171028_184137.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	403075

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd eat eat that.

• texastweeter
            texastweeter commented
            Editing a comment
            take them, and season with grushed garlic, pepper, salt and a few rosematy sprigs. stack them together and wrap in saran wrap. refridgerate it overnight. hit them with some rendered tallow, and sear them to rare....Awewsomness

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here