Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cooking whole filet tenderloin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cooking whole filet tenderloin

I’ve never done a whole loin at once. Is there any technique difference between tenderloin and prime rib?? Thanks in advance. Ron P.

Welcome Papy4815

Comment

Like a lot of things there are a lot of ways to do it. Compared to rib roast it's going to take less time because of lower fat content and smaller circumference. So you want to watch your internal temp pretty closely. I'd do a low and slow for a while, get it up to approaching rare or medium rare IT (115-125), then sear or broil.

Comment

What EdF said. I always bacon wrap mine to add the fat content back in. It's really a totally different animal in that regard. My advice would be to cut it into 4-6" steaks, turn them on end and deal with it that way. They sear quickly so watch the IT closely.

By the way, I see you're a charter member and this is your first post? Did you just awaken from a long sleep?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 and slather in Meatheads horseradish sauce, I cant remember what he calls it Secratraiat sauce maybe?

Yep, reverse sear is the way to go. I've done more than I can count. I assume it's beef by the way? If it is too thin in one end (it usually is), just fold it back over and tie it with butcher's yarn so it is more equal in thickness.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
          Potkettleblack commented
          Editing a comment
          This. The more even the log, the better the results.

Thx for the help guys. And yea sometimes it feels like I just woke up. Love to read everything just haven’t had a need for specific input from everybody until now. Thx again.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois

Comment

Another way to do it. Not ideal, but different and fun. Click image for larger version

Name:	8399535A-3D23-4A68-AEB9-B9F66B24419E.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	402524
              Ends up with a gray band but makes up for it in show.

Comment

That is very cool, lomo al trapo

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here