Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steak Tartare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steak Tartare

My wife and I made steak tartare last night. Taking a cue from Meathead, we decided to sterilize the surface of the meat. We chose to sear, rather than boil, the meat prior to dicing it (LOTS of chopping/mincing--lol), so I fired up the gasser and seared all six surfaces of a nice dry brined (and trimmed of fat) NY strip for about 20 seconds per side on the flat side of a Grill Grate, then put the steak back in the fridge to chill. Next time, I think I'd do more like 45-60 seconds as the sear taste was lost in the final dish. The recipe came from Anthony Bourdain's "Les Halles" cookbook (which I got before Bourdain became so famous). We followed it pretty closely, though we did use cheap Christian Brother's brandy in place of cognac. Anyway, if steak tartare is something that sounds good to you, Bourdain's recipe is a good place to start. Happy eating!
    Last edited by Willy; October 27, 2017, 10:52 AM.

Nice! Had it once in a local sushi joint that uses SRF beef. Great stuff. They bring you a hot stone to sear, it's like dinner & a show. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      that is how they do in in Japan with real Kobe Waygu, but first they show you the noseprint and papers on the animal. Something on my bucket list.

Never had it, but now I’m curious!

Comment

Never heard of it.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's just minced raw beef with some flavorings mixed in--onions, cornichons, capers, mustard,... Google "Bourdain steak tartare".

I love steak tartare. It's really just the beef equivalent of sashimi. I often order it at Japanese sushi bars.

Thanks for the reference to Bourdain's cook book, I'm curious in checking it out, No Reservations is still one of my all time favs.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        It's a good cook book. His foul language is grating at times (and I can swear like a sailor), but he's funny and, I think, quite spot on when it comes to cooking and recipes. I did eat at Les Halles in NYC (prior to Bourdain's arrival). It was excellent.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C61257F7-6F73-4E6B-B858-2E39718C72EC.jpeg
Views:	119
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	403784 I done this for the first time 3 weeks ago and made Parmesan crisps to go with. Was real happy with it 😋 I very loosely used the Les Halles recipe.

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        I love the Parmesan crisp idea!

Love steak tartare!!!!!!
      I make mine using fresh ground beef from my butcher. I start with a hard pumpernickel bread slather on a good amount of butter spread the beef on about 3/4” thick coat it with enough salt to make it look like it snowed on it. Than mound on as much chopped onion as possible. Unfortunately I haven’t made this in a couple of months so no pics.
      But damn I just made myself hungry 😋

Comment

I had a buddy from N. Dakota who always talked about eating tiger meat. Sounds awfully similar.

Comment

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          My Grandparents called it Tiger Meat. They would do it on home made pumpernickel and sprinkle rye seed and onion on it. I loved it--my Dad would get physically ill and have to leave the room when they made it. Washed down with a cold beer no matter how old you were.

My 10 year old daughter LOVES steak tartare. You've planted the seed. Gonna have to make some soon.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey JC. Maybe not a bad idea to take a trip to that little store near the chili plant place. Bet you’d get some awesome tartar there.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve B Yes!!

We love it too. My wife's family makes Kibbi (raw) as well and I'm trying to persuade them to pasteurize

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Kibbi Niyi, is how I was used to hearing it pronounced. Hope I got the spelling right. We would drizzle some olive oil on it & scoop it up with a piece of pita bread. Great stuff.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here, FireMan

Etheopian restaurants have raw beef that is fantastic.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn’t think Etheopian’s had any food. 😜
          Yeah I know I’m messed up. Sorry 😐

OK moderators, I love steak tartare too, but fail to understand why we can discuss that on the forum while a discussion of cold smoked salmon is taboo? Whattup??? 🤔

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Steak Tartare is brought out to you, directly from the fridge. So the idea is, the meat never touches that "danger zone" temp. When cold smoking a meat, like salmon, the flesh is in the danger zone for an extended period of time. This greatly increases the possibility for illness.

• HorseDoctor
          HorseDoctor commented
          Editing a comment
          So you're saying you would order raw hamburger somewhere but not Nova Lox?

• Willy
          Willy commented
          Editing a comment
          I "think" the issue as perceived on AR is that the preparation of any perishable product by cold smoking can lead to bacterial growth, whereas commercially sold products such as lox are presumed to have been prepared properly by a "pro".

Agree, but also suspect the Meathead’s legal backup team presumes that most people aren’t smart enough to "pour pizz out of a boot" and would sue if they got wet socks as a result... 🙄 The info for cold smoking is out there on many other sites so it’s no big deal. Silly lawyers... 😤

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Meathead has said it is very, very hard to sue someone over a recipe. His "legal back up team" is a well respected food safety microbiologist that he is married to. hehehehe

I prefer to just have an EXTRA (blu) rare steak. Usually ribeye. The chopping and mincing TO ME creates an oxidized flavor I don't really like....now sashimi and Nagiri, ill geat GALLONS of that stuff...Salmon and Toro Tuna please!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here