Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got so excited over a brisket find I forgot my phone at the brisket bin.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got so excited over a brisket find I forgot my phone at the brisket bin.....

Shopped for about 10 more minutes, dropped the bad boy and markers and a hazlenut snickers on the belt.....uhhhhh where's my phone??? (Just remembered I forgot the snickers and markers in the truck)

Needed to gross about 19 pounds for a couple ladies at work. Thought I would have to get two until I realized the average brisket weight was over 16 pounds, they even had a 22+ pounder.

Talk about a funky beast to trim. I couldn't find the fat vein between the two muscles so I did it last and by the time I trimmed it down I had daylight coming through. First time that has happened.

Think I'm gonna throw it on Saturday night.

Pictures when it is done....

Love to see the pictures!

Comment

The Brisket King is at it again 😊

Comment

Jerod, do you find the flats on those big mammas come out better than the smaller ones? I recently bought a 20lb packer and was blown away by how thick the flat was. I corned it so I don't know if it'd been less dry than thinner ones if i'd have bbq it.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Wet aging...does that mean you leave them in the cryovac in your fridge for like a month?

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          JCBBQ yeah, I went 40-42 days from the store bought date on a couple big Choice Mamma Jamma's and they were awesome. They were also smoked, chilled, reheated, and held for about 3 hours after the reheat. That was a few years ago and my wife still mentions those two. Both points had some grayish funky growth that grew in size (and I'm pretty sure smell) during the process I was able to trim off.

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Jerod Broussard, that's great information.

Standing by for pics...

Comment

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            LOL!
            That looks like me, catchin' some rays!

• PaulstheRibList
            PaulstheRibList commented
            Editing a comment
            agreed

Preview teaser.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171025_235428.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	401726Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171025_235500.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	401727

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Jerod Broussard you see what Amazing Ribs did?? It's causing a run on brisket and just doubled your price in 5 years. Hi, my name is Joe yeah I pay about what you pay - around $3.80/lb

• Hi, my name is Joe
            Hi, my name is Joe commented
            Editing a comment
            I just got back from my butcher and they had a choice brisket now at $5.99//b that officially prices me out of brisket. Chicken, pork and other beef products are all still competitive. At that price, I think I'll mail order one next time. I've grown very fond of my butcher, but that's one item I just can justify.

• Thunder77
            Thunder77 commented
            Editing a comment
            Best price I have ever seen is $3.43/lb.

Jerod, do you subscribe to the right side brisket versus left side brisket and one being more tender than the other?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            No. I prescribe to intramuscular fat in the flat, and if I have a few to choose from I try to pick the one with least amount of fat cap, but that is a guess more than anything with respect to the fat cap. No left or right and very few times have I did the bend test.

So if it is shrink wrapped like that, how far can you go past the "use by" date assuming you are keeping it at say 36 degrees? I have to say i would have been a little worried if I opened it and saw a "grayish funky growth."

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Vacuum sealed could go a long time as indicated by the BBQ guy over at Texas Monthly Magazine. I think for myself diminishing returns would kick soon after 45 days. I saw the funky stuff through the bag at the beginning. Had it enveloped the whole brisket that would have been another story.

After thousands of barbecue meals, I've never been struck ill by smoked meat. Maybe it's the long cooking time, or the preservative qualities provided by

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice Texas Monthly article Jerod. Like most good Texans, I wet age at least 30 sometimes as long as 45 days. In that calc I assume 25% of that time has already occurred in handling/processing.

• Jerod Broussard
            Editing a comment
            Troutman speaking with someone who worked in the large packing plants, they said don't be surprised if you get most briskets within 3 days of the packing date

14 pounds 6 ounces after trimming.

Comment

Where the heck did you find a choice of that size, im lucky to find a CAB 12 lbs, of course they sell them post trim.

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Where are you at texastweeter ? Here in Htown both HEB and Costco have prime and choice 17-18# whole packers everyday.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Whitehouse, just outside Tyler. I can get huge select briskets everywhere, and smaller 8-10lb pee trimed CAB at Brookshires and Fresh. Can order prime from Fresh. Anything higher grade than select is going to be about 10lbs here.

Come somewhere other than Texas and you can't just walk into the gas station and pickup 20lb briskets. LOL. Here in swine country, you can find a cooler full of pork ribs and butts all day long, but you're lucky if there's 8 briskets in the grocery store and 5 of those are the little prebrined corned beef. It's hard to find good brisket or short ribs in these here parts (Memphis). Maybe the costco here has them, but we didn't renew because we didn't go enough.

Comment

• sblair1255
              sblair1255 commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't know what your Costco carries but ours has the prime packers for $2.99 lb. If you just buy a flat it's about $5.99 and choice rather than prime. My most recent (still in my smoker right now) started out at about 19 lbs but I'm pretty sure I trimmed 4+ lbs off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_173149.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	402851Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171028_173748_1.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	402852

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              That s a beautiful picture. Love it!

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Whaaaat? No PBC??

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              Thunder77 I was going to with 2, just one not so big- 22, bigger- 26 with raised grate, too big- 26 no raised grate

That looks like it wants to overflow your kettle. Expect that might be a long cook. Looks great so far.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              It did, I had to pack in the point some.

Jerod you can still get some ribs in there. Like the country ribs too. That would be awesome!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Editing a comment
              I have some Renfro Smoked Sausage I will throw on top the Slow 'n Sear later.

• PaulstheRibList
              PaulstheRibList commented
              Editing a comment
              easy

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here