Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri Tip Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri Tip Advice

Hey Folks,

Been awhile since I posted here. I hope everyone is doing well. I am going to be doing up a couple of Tri Tips for dinner tomorrow. I was thinking of dry brining them overnight and throwing them in the sous vide for about 12 hours at 131-ish tomorrow morning, then searing them on the Kamado Joe and serving them with a bernaise sauce. I was wondering if I should be looking to add any seasonings other than the salt for the dry brine, or if that will carry it?

My limited experience is NOT to salt before a sous vide. It does something kind of funny to the texture on long cooks. Kind of like curing. Am not sure that 12 hours is considered long though. My cooks have mostly either been just 2-3 hours or several days. Someone with more experience should chime in soon though.
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 22, 2017, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Potkettleblack EdF

Comment

I do my TriTip the exact way you describe except the bearnaise. After the bath I usually add some cracked pepper, granulated garlic and onion powder before a sear on my kettle. I have done just salt and it was great also. I think the TriTip has incredible flavor and may not need a sauce, but it’s worth a try! Let us know (with pictures)!

Comment

I just did a trip tip and it was in the bath for 8 hours at 145*. I then put it in an ice bath while I got the broccoli cooking in the hot tub . I fired up the kettle and warmed the meat to about 120 then I seared it. It was tender and tasty but I would have like it a little more on the rare side.
          @ABCBBQDave does a great video on trip tip on YouTube
          Last edited by jecucolo; October 22, 2017, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Thanks folks. Some great advice here! I have the roasts going in the sous vide now. They'll likely get about 12 hours at 131 before I pull em out and sear them.

Comment

Do any of you frequent tri-tip cooks use an ice bath after sous vide and before searing? I'm just reading that some people do this, but I am not sure what the advantage is? I will not be storing the meat overnight or anything. Basically it will be SV and seared today.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I think the idea in this scenario is to give yourself more time on the cooker in the second phase. To me, that's more important when smoking after SV, and not really of much use when doing a quick post-sear.

Originally posted by TheCountofQ View Post
              Sometimes I do; sometimes I don't. But it's always done less heavily than when not using SV.

Comment

Tri-Tip in the Souix Veee Doooo Bath at 133* for 10 Hrs❓ Double Firsts for Me❗️ Might Need a Double Shot before the Day is Over❓ I am Pretty Much Following @Breadheads Post with Some Clarification by Skip (Thank You) on the Dry Brining‼️ I Dry Brined the Tri-Tip for 14 Hrs overnight in the Fridge (Kosher Salt, Onion Powder, Ground Garlic and Tones Rest. Grind Black Pepper) Water Bath with the Anova Ciculator at 8:00 AM & a
                Temp of 133❓ Before I Sealed the Bag I added 2 Dollops of Liquid Smoke❓❓ I intend to Give the Roast a Quick Sear on the Weber and Vortex about 6:00 PM❗️ I will Let You Know More Later‼️
                Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	266.7 KB ID:	399388Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	362.0 KB ID:	399389Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	504.8 KB ID:	399390Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	845.6 KB ID:	399391Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.19 MB ID:	399392Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	854.7 KB ID:	399394Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	966.2 KB ID:	399395Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.55 MB ID:	399396Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1,008.6 KB ID:	399397Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	399398Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	2 Size:	104.9 KB ID:	399399
                Attached Files

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You are gonna love this Danjohnston949

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  fzxdoc, Kathryn, Thanks I figured I better try the Darn Thing Out in case there was a defect❓ I thought I was Going to Save It and Sell is to Spinaker at a Premium in New UnUsed Condition‼️ I suggested it to Him❗️ He didn't take the Bait❓❓❓
                  From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

• Danjohnston949
                  Danjohnston949 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  kmhfive, I hope You are Right! I departed a "Little" from what Everyone Else are doing by adding a Little Liquid Smoke to
                  the Roast Before I Sealed the Bag❓

Does sous vide make a TT that much more tender?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks kmhfive I'll give it a try next time.

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What kmhfive said. I sv'd my last tri tip longer because it was frozen when it did it's 1.5 gainer into the sv bath. Way more tender than reverse searing alone.

• Skip
                  Skip commented
                  Editing a comment
                  IMO TT is way more tender with the SV. Another plus with SV is it confuses guests which in some cases adds to the fun! Ha Ha.

If I salt before Sous, it’s always lighter.

I dont usually add anything to the bag beyobd salt.

A ten minute shock in ice water directly before searing will minimize the over cooking of the exterior while searing. You’ve probably seen a steak with a core that is pink, a nice sear, and a grey band between the first and the core. The thickness of this band can be minimized by searing something that starts fairly dry and cool. If you take it right out of the bag, you will have a wider grey band, which removes some of the benefit of processing Sous Vide.

Comment

Tri-Tip Souix Veeee Dooooo for 10 Hrs @ 133*, "CONTINUED"❓ I think I will Try to Be Purely Objective in My Statements❓ At 10 Hrs It was taken from the Bath, the Weber Performer Deluxe and Vortex were going With 2-Twice Baked Potatoes, 2-Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, 1-Sliced Sweet Onion❗️
                  Sorry No Pic's❓ Opened the Vents and Let It Buck, It May Have Been a Little Cool❗️ The Roast was Tender, but I'm Glad I had Added the Liquid Smoke or I'm afraid it Would Have Been Very Bland‼️ Going to Give It One More Try before I give it a 👍 or a 👎❓
                  Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	133
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	399994Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	134
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	399991Click image for larger version

Views:	141
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	399993Click image for larger version

Views:	134
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	399992Click image for larger version

Views:	155
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	399996Click image for larger version

Views:	127
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	399999Click image for larger version

Views:	132
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	399998
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    fzxdoc, Kathryn, CaptainMike, First , Kathryn This was My First Souix Veee Doooo of Any Type and 2nd My First Tri-Tip I Am Going To Do 1-2 More Before I Make any Declarative Statements other Than I Was Moderately Disapointted❓

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    CaptainMike, Thanks and Thank You for Your Link to the Meat Rake‼️ I Ordered One Yesterday Afternoon ❗️ I'm
                    Looking Forward to Them‼️ Get Your Commission ‼️ 🤗😇🤗

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    May I suggest doing your next TT a la Santa Maria or reverse sear? As an old-fashioned Californian I've done a gob or 2 of TT's and there's something special about grilling them over wood fire. If your digits resemble mine in wear and tear I think you'll enjoy the meatrakes.

Looks great Dan! I thought you were going to call when the SV had 5 hours to go!?!?!?!?

Comment

• Danjohnston949
                    Danjohnston949 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Skip, If I told You I Would Call, I Must Have Been Having a Senior Moment ❓ (Day-Month)❓❓❓❓❓ Thanks Again for Your Help‼️ As I told fzxdoc ,Kathryn, above, I'm Not Sure I'm Sold Yet❓

Well, I forgot to take pictures. That said it turned out really well. After the sous vide was done (12 hours), I gave the tri tips a rub down with garlic salt and pepper. Seared them on the kamado, then served with a bernaise sauce. Turned out great!

Comment

• Missin44
                    Missin44 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Next time try 6 hrs or so. I do mine at 6 and slices like prime rib. I suspect that 12 hrs is a bit overkill.

• kmhfive
                    kmhfive commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’m glad you liked it kingdarb . I do 12-hours also. I know some go as long as 15 and others go much shorter. I think it depends on the way you like it. I tried several lengths and settled at 12. Three in the HTTM right now, as a matter of fact.

Congratulations!

Adrenaline BBQ on Youtube has a Sous Vide tri tip video. Cooked on a Weber with their Slow and sear. Sous vide 3 hours, 1 hour ice bath, then indirect cook and reverse sear.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here