Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grate temp with two different meats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grate temp with two different meats

I've got ribs and butt down pat. Want to try my first chukie today and also do a butt. Typical for butt is 225, What is the suggested temp for chuckies? If the temp is different what do I set it for when I am cooking both?
    Also is a chuckie considered done at 135? And does it get cut or pulled? If it is sliced what is a good beef cut for pulled?
    Grill is getting hot. Help please :-)
    Last edited by UNK; October 21, 2017, 09:13 AM.

If pulled from yer cooker at 135° IT, I'm guessin' yer chuckie will be pretty dang chewy, since I don' rightly reckon that th' collagens have had sufficient time to render...
    Could be, I'm all wrong; Sure as hail wouldn' be th' first time.
    Chuckie Target Temp Range, fer me, at least is more like 195°-210° IT, FWIW...Probe Tender
    Be advised, please: This is with pullin' in mind...for sliceable chuckie, I would go summat less IT...

Th' butt will take care of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
      If pulled from yer cooker at 135° IT, I'm guessin' yer chuckie will be pretty dang chewy, since I don' rightly reckon that th' collagens have had sufficient time to render...
      Could be, I'm all wrong; Sure as hail wouldn' be th' first time.
      Chuckie Target Temp Range, fer me, at least is more like 195°-210° IT, FWIW...Probe Tender
      Be advised, please: This is with pullin' in mind...for sliceable chuckie, I would go summat less IT...

Th' butt will take care of itself.
      So basically I cook it just like the butt. Mr Bones you haved saved meagain. You sir get a gold star for the day. So times. My meat probe isnt working. I know the butt is at least a 9 hour cook. Grate temp at 225 for a 3.5 chuckie what is the aprox time?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Something like 8-9 hours. ;-)

You can cook your chuck at the same temp as the butt. As for pulling temp of the beef - Mr. Bones is right on. Slight edit because I just saw your response to Mr. Bones. I would put the chuck on 2 hours after the butt.

Comment

Your Chuckie will cook right nicely alongside the butt. Same temperature for the grill. Same idea on when it’s done; probe tender. When you pull them off the grill, you still need to wrap them and hold in a Cambro. Hold the Chuckie a minimum of two hours after it’s off the grill.

Comment

Hopefully, ya' got a pocket thermo...
          It'll serve as a handy tenderness probe
          I seldom cook that low (225°), so I can't even give ya' a ballpark ETA.
          I'm certain that others, more sagacious/experienced folks will chime in, soon, an' help ya'...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 21, 2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

The chuckies go for at least 8-9 hours for me at 225. They vary, with the particular cut, thickness, crutched or not and when. I suggest wrapping when you get the bark you like. Should be plenty of juice to add back to the meat.

Comment

If you don't have a a pocket thermo, you can put the pit thermo in the meat for a few minutes - until it stabilizes. That should give you an idea of the meat(s) temp(s).

Comment

Good info all. Ill keep it at 225 until i get the bark I want then foil wrap and run it up to 300. Im surprised st the length of time as its much thinner than the butt.
                Now meat probe is working Ill order a new one monday. The butcher shop says the chuck goes on sale every other week so if this rub (Big bad beef rub from here) turns out well I may wait till the next sale and buy a whole chuck. The butt is excellent when vacuum sealed and reheated. Ribs I found get too dry so Im only going to cook them as needed.
                How does beef hold up to vacuum sealing and reheat?

Comment

cook them both at 225. pull the chuck at 200-205 (probe tender) the pork but I like to hold them at around 205-210 for an hour to help the collagens to break down even further to give you that SPLAT pulled effect.

Comment

I do them opposite than texastweeter usually the pork butt is probe tender around 200-203 and if doing pulled beef I will take the chuck roast to 210-215. Works for me.

Comment

• texastweeter
                      texastweeter commented
                      Editing a comment
                      one of the things I have learned over the years about BBQ. Its like sex, politics, and religion, everyone is different and we are all passionate about our opinions. Good thin about BBQ is we are more willing to try other peoples recommendations behind closed doors...LOL

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here