Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tri-Tip smoked like a brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tri-Tip smoked like a brisket?

Apologies if this has already been covered.

I just watched the latest video from T-Roy on Youtube. In the video he cooked a tri-tip like a brisket, up to 200 degrees or so.

video:

It looked pretty good - very tender if a little dry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-10-17 at 10.58.12 PM.png
Views:	189
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	397097

Still, I've always cooked trip-tips reverse seared, shooting for medium rare.

Has anyone ever cooked a trip-tip fully low and slow? Curious to know the results. Is this worth trying?

I'd never have thought it'd turn out that well, but there's been a person or 2 here who've done it and said it worked out good. I don't remember if they said it was better than med-rare, I cna't imagine it would be, but alas I haven't done it myself.

Comment

I’ve always thought tri-tip should be cooked to steak temps so never tried low and slow. My favorite way to cook is on rotisserie. I have a weber kettle 22” rotisserie accessory. I love that thing.

Comment

I am a huge tri tip guy, that being said .. there is a deli near work who does their TT like a brisket / chuck roast. I’ve tried it, different but really good. I’ll keep my TT’s to traditional.

Comment

Nope. IMHO just Nope. That's a big fat NEGATORY for me. Low and slow, yes. Over 140 Nope. That's just me though. Whatever makes your boat float is the motto around here. That's a motto,here right?

try it. It may just be fantastic and then guys like me will Need to try it too.

Comment

• hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            The official motto is "Never make friends with the goat."

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            hoovarmin childhood fact 101

• FlaBouy
            FlaBouy commented
            Editing a comment
            I am afraid that I am in the Nope Boat on this one also, Cap'n....

I've done it both ways, in my opinion the are better cuts to use for long smokes. If you are cooking a tri-tip, stick with medium rare.

I cooked a tri-tip at the same time as a chuck roast, both for pulled beef. The chuck was much juicier, pulled nicer, and had a better taste. The tri-tip probably would have tasted pretty good if I didn't have something to compare it against, but I did and around here chuck roast is cheaper anyway.

Comment

Like HouseHomey said "whatever floats your boat" with that said I’m going to try it. I think I will like it. Of course, I like the medium rare too. If T-Roy said it was good then it’s good. He’s mine other hero next to Malcom Reed.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              My money is on you to make it be Delicious 😋 we are all still learning. Float that boat baby!

I have such a hard time finding TriTip that I’ll stick with Med Rare on the few I get.

Comment

I have done TT like a brisket and it was ok. I prefer it cooked to steak temp but both ways were good IMO.

Comment

I've been using Meatheads suggested tri-tip method on my gas grill for years. A few weeks ago I purchased two prime tri-tips at Costco (small at about 2.5 lbs each but no waste and a good price at 7.49/lb.). I decided to do the low and slow portion in my Camp Chef 24 smoker with wine barrel oak chunks. About an hour at 225 in the smoker (~ 120 on Thermopen) then onto the grill for the sear at the rear. They turned out beautifully, medium rare, with a much nicer smoke flavor than I can achieve on the grill. I'm going to do more this weekend now that the smoke from last weeks fires has mostly cleared.

Comment

• kmhfive
                  kmhfive commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice to meet you AreBe ! Glad you’re "out-of-the-fire" and OK.

My brain just froze when the TT started going over 136.57468*.....

Comment

Buddy and I just did a tri-tip over the weekend. Smoked it @225 up to 120, then seared it to 135-140. Delicious! Why mess with perfection?

(p.s. I have also done tri-tip to 160 and it tasted decent, but needed to be thin sliced for sandwiches. Never done 200 though)

Comment

A Little Help Needed, PLEASE‼️ The Local Cash Wise Store Is Running a Special on Tri-Tip Roasts❓ $3.97/lb X 2.46 lb = $9.77, So I Bought One❓
                    The Problem IS I Have Never Cooked One‼️ Any Tips or Suggestions Would be Appreciated‼️ Back in Prehistoric Days when I would help out in the Folks Meat Market, Tri-Tips didn't exist they were Called Hamburger❓ I hope It's as Good as the "Pit Club Members", Say It Is‼️ 👍👍👍👍👍
                    Eat Well and Prosper❗️ From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	397817Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.13 MB ID:	397819Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	397818Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	397820Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	397821

Comment

Danjohnston949, I love Tri-Tip! I've done several and I used Meathead's seasoning and advice and they've been yummy. There are lots of options within this thread, but I personally enjoy mine on the 22" kettle rotisserie I have. I cook it to 140 and it has a great, flavorful char across the entire surface. Seasoning is simple: salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.

Comment

• CaptainMike
                        CaptainMike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If you don't have a Santa Maria grill, then a kettle will be just fine. Trim the fat cap, Dry brine for a few hours, 2 zone setup, s&p/garlic powder, couple of chunks of oak, indirect to 120 (flip a couple of times), direct sear to 130ish, 1/4" slices across the grain. Very trusty cut and fairly forgiving.

Although I'd be happy to try someone else's experiment with a brisket styled cook, I'm not doing that to MY tri-tip. Seems like the main point of a long slow cook is to break down tough connective tissue. Not seeing much of that in a tri-tip ...

Danjohnston949 , any idea what grade you got there? Below choice might benefit from hitting it with the Jacquard tenderizer. Costco even does this to the Prime grade tri-tip. Beyond that: dry brine, rub of choice, reverse sear, 130 to 140 finish. Seeing how this came cryovac'd, I'm wondering about how wet aging might work with this cut. Anybody tried that with tri-tip?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here