Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Different meats on multiple racks in a vertical gas water smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Different meats on multiple racks in a vertical gas water smoker

My wife does not eat red meat, which she defines as beef, pork, lamb and veal, as well as game such as venison and elk. She has a degree in animal science, was a butcher as a part-time job in college, and likes to hunt, so go figure. Anyway, my water smoker has 5 racks. If I put chicken on the bottom rack for her and spare ribs two racks above that for me, if I put a pan on the rack beneath my ribs to catch the drippings, will it reduce the ribs' exposure to smoke?

I would put her meat on top, first of all. This way your chops can't be busted for"cross contamination." lol
    The ribs will tolerate a bit more heat than the chicken will. The chicken drippings, falling on the ribs, will be better than the rib drippings falling on the chicken, in this case(from her point of view). Since ribs will take longer than chicken to cook(overall), if the chicken is in the cooler area(on top), then they should be done relatively close to each other. I have a vertical grill/smoker and this has worked for me in the past. Good luck and smoke on...

Comment

But if I don't want any drippings from meat above falling on meat below, will putting a pan on the rack under the meat above prevent the meat above the pan from getting enough smoke?

Comment

As long as the meat is at least an inch above the top of the pan you should have no problem.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here