Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with a Large cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with a Large cook.

It finally happened. I've been asked to cook 4 briskets in the next 48 hours. I only have a LBGE and no real access to another smoker. I believe I can fit two 10lb briskets in the egg, but it will be tight.

Any advise? or ideas?

PBC, PBC, oh, sorry. Do you have someone who has something you could borrow? pbc.....

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
      Hi, my name is Joe commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm trying to get my inlaws to buy one, you know spend someone else's money Sadly I don't have a lot of friends. Most are on the interwebs...

Smoke them up and go to the oven to finish.

Comment

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      First brisket I ever tried was about 20 years ago. Smoked it for 3 hours then put it in the oven overnight at 200 for about 12 hours. Came out amazing and the house was full of brisket aromas.

Not a BGE person but I'll throw out some ideas. How big are the briskets? Can you cook two 10-12 lb briskets at a time on your BGE? Assuming they all have to be served at the same time? If that's the case sound like two will get done early( assuming you can cook two at a time) and you'll have to hold them for a while. Guessing you'll end up with a couple in the refrigerator and end up reheating them. I've found reheating sliced brisket at 170 in the oven gets them back to a very tasty state and it didn't seem to dry them out. I reheated mine in a covered glass dish.

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
      Editing a comment
      I think with some assistance from some foil, I can make two 10lb briskets fit until they shrink up a bit.

I've cooked some butt before and wrapped it up in the oven on about 180deg till dinner time. Typically, i'll pull the butt out in the morning before work and pull it out when it's dinner time. Perhaps a brisket with perform the same?

• phoccer
      phoccer commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. It will help to break down the connective tissue further. Good review of it here: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...ting_meat.html

Where in Maryland do you live?

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
      Editing a comment
      I live in Cecil County, right outside of Port Deposit.

YES! You can 100% do 4 briskets on the lg BGE. I own one - I've done it. If you don't have a second level grate to accommodate - build it, which is no problem, a nice overnight cook seems to be in order. Nice cook!

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
      Editing a comment
      I've had my eye on a couple for some time. Which one do you have? Lend me your wisdom kind Sir!

• SoCalTim
      SoCalTim commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Joe, I have a Large. The diameter of the grate is 18" .. go to Home Depot and buy a 14" grate - some 6' bolts, washers and nuts to build a second tier. The second grate will not be permanent, you just set it on top of the factory grate.

• Hi, my name is Joe
      Editing a comment
      That's totally going to happen today! I'm guessing Stainless bolts? and what diameter did you use?
      Last edited by Hi, my name is Joe; October 10, 2017, 02:52 PM.

Come on over to my house, I will lend you a grill or smoker. I'm just outside of Baltimore. PM me

Comment

I would put two in the smoker for three or four hours and then transfer to the oven. Immediately put the other two on at a higher temp to smoke until done . Run the first two in the oven at a lower temp - around 200* until the second two catch up and then finish both at the same temp.

If you crutch, leave them wherever they are. If you don't, you could switch them one more time to put a little more smoke on the first two, but that is probably not necessary.

Comment

I've managed to talk this person down to just two large briskets. He though a brisket was the size of the corned beef kits at the grocery stores. So we've got 24lbs of packer which is manageable. Now my panic has subsided, I can get to work on these two.

Thunder77 Thanks, for your offer! Provided that offer stands, I'll probable take you up on that some day.
        RonB That's a great idea. I might end up doing that still.

Pictures will follow!

Thanks for the tips and offers everyone, you folk ROCK!!!

Comment

I know I said I would never say this again, but, whoever "they" are, have em order pizza.

Comment

Too much pride with this crowd FireMan. It's really a friendly rivalry, It's a bunch of active duty and former military folks. Most are from some BBQ area of the US (TX,NC, MO, OK). On top of that It's mostly Army and Airforce folks, Myself being from the Marines have got to show them up with my Yankee Q.

Comment

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Take names? What names? I only kick arse. I don't take no stinking names.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Semper Fi from another Leatherneck! And yes, that is a standing offer, just give me some notice.

Oooooh, that changes everything . Smoke em JOE, smoke em.

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
              Editing a comment
              I've got all you behind me; you know that means: we're going to throw the water on 'em.

Originally posted by SoCalTim View Post
            YES! You can 100% do 4 briskets on the lg BGE. I own one - I've done it. If you don't have a second level grate to accommodate - build it, which is no problem, a nice overnight cook seems to be in order. Nice cook!
            15 to 17" will work perfect. Here's a picture, you don't need u bolts as reg. bolts will work fine.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	grate.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	393360

Comment

• Hi, my name is Joe
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Tim, I went to my local home depot and looked for some hardware but came up empty handed. I've got three more hardware stores to check out tomorrow morning before I start my cook. I'm totally going to rip your design off.

• Thunder77
              Thunder77 commented
              Editing a comment
              Great improvisation, dude! 👍

• Bob's BBQ
              Bob's BBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice - I'm going to steal this idea to make a second level for my big smoker. Great idea!

SoCalTim I struck out trying to replicate your setup. I could have grabbed some stainless bolts, but it would have cost about $25 in hardware alone, I couldn't find a 14" grate anywhere. I did find a BGE 13" stainless grate but for $50, I had to pass, I would have been over $80 in the set up. But for $3ea I got some fire bricks and found an old grate I had from by Bradley smoker days, now all is well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5869.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.36 MB ID:	393681

The compromise: I draped a brisket over my rib/roast rack, while I went out on a hunt
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5871.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.38 MB ID:	393683

A bit of an adjustment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5873.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	393684

Improvise, Adapt and overcome
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5874.JPG Views:	2 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	393685

Comment

• phoccer
              phoccer commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome ingenuity.

This is an awesome set up - absolutely love the ingenuity!!! This is an awesome cook. Great Job Joe!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here