Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now that I can get ahold of Brisket...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that I can get ahold of Brisket...

I haven't cooked much brisket bc it wasn't until recently that I've been able to pick up full packers without special ordering them from a butcher. Now that I have found a source, I'm ready to try some things. This was the first time I've ever separated the point and flat. Interesting process. I was amazed at just how much fat I removed. This 20lb packer came with 7lbs of fat effectively changing the price from $3.95/lb to almost $7! I'm planning on 4 different cooks. Chili con carne w 1/2 the point, which I made today and it was delicious. I follow MH's recipe. With the other 1/2 I'm going to make Jerod Broussard 's "Burnt Overalls" . Amazingly, I've never made burnt ends w brisket so i'm excited about that. I'm going to cut the flat in half and do a compare and contrast of the sous vide and regular pastrami. Here's today's chili.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20 lb brisket.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	392353Click image for larger version

Name:	chili con carne.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	392354Click image for larger version

Name:	chili con carne mixed.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	392355

Beautiful!

Comment

Always knew I was removing a bunch of fat. Never realized how much!

Comment

The chili con carne looks awesome. Can't wait to see the results of your other cooks.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks!

Looking good brother

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, pal!

Incredibly delicious lookin' chili, Amigo!

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Pretty tasty too! Thanks Mr. Bones

Tons of fat on most packers. I had one that had a paper thin, and I mean paper thin layer of fat between the point and flat. All others, copious would be the appropriate term.

Love Meathead's chile/chili/chilei/chilie, I just need to add plenty salt next time. The salty chips don't add near enough for me.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I added salt and pepper. But not that much. First time for me. Really good recipe/recipi/recipei etc..

I was just starting to plan chili for a cook soon… I think you just moved up my timeline! Looks wonderful.

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I'll be making this again soon. It's a great recipe.

Looks great I have a batch of ecowper Chili recipe on the stove now.
        Last edited by Pirate Scott; October 8, 2017, 03:33 PM. Reason: wrong tag

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          I need to come over :-)

Wow that looks great! I’ll be right over!

Comment

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I have leftovers....

Chili looks great! Save the fat to grind into burger or render down for beef love.

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

Oakgrovebacon , remind me, do we use all the fat except the deckle? I did make beef love once before but it's been a long time and I vaguely remember reading not to use the deckle but can't be sure.

Comment

• Oakgrovebacon
              Oakgrovebacon commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you are correct to leave out deckle.

• HorseDoctor
              HorseDoctor commented
              Editing a comment
              You can render the deckle fat for "beef love". It will break down, just not as quickly or completely as softer fat.

That is some mighty tasty looking chili brother !! One of the largest cook offs in the country occurs every year at the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo. It has pretty much morphed into a BBQ competition but years ago it was called the Texas Chili Cook-off. Your picture reminded me of those days, your entry looks like it would have placed well my friend !!!

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Troutman! I was actually supposed to enter a chili cook off yesterday but forgot to sign up in time. I made the chili anyway. I got a 1st place from the judges at home

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That, my friend, is the best judgement in the world

That my friend is a spectator looking chili. I would so eat that for breakfast right now!

Comment

• JCBBQ
              JCBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Oooh, good idea! And thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here