Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slept most of the day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slept most of the day...

I've got two days off this weekend, so could have made it home for a bit, butt ended up going to bed early last light and sleeping of and on all day today. This means I'll be up most of the night...

I guess its as good a time as any to make a second run at brisket. The weather is fabulous, and I've got 12 cold ones at the ready.

Ran to Wally World and picked up a select 12ish pounder, trimmed it up, and salted. A shorter brine than I would really want, but it's a last minute decision.

I think I'll start about midnight or so...

So who else is up with me tonight? Gotta have some company around here, seeing as how the gorgeous gal who was chatting me up at Wal Mart is a vegetarian. (I ended the conversation and backed away!!)

Smoke on, brothers and sisters...
    Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 8, 2017, 06:37 AM.

Sounds like kmhfive is your companion tonight.

Comment

Slept until 1300 hrs today. Got off work last night at 0420 hours, 2 hours and 10 minutes later than I should have.
      ​​

​​​​​​I have to leave by 0210 hrs tonight.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Is your avatar of a brisket you cooked? Would love to hear the details behind that one...

TheCountofQ make that 0310 hrs on the off time tonight, maybe sooner but not later.

That was a couple months ago on the brisket. One of the kettles w/ SnS. I place my really cold brisket in the kettle, I then dump the hot charcoal directly on top of a large wood chunk. Then let things rip wide open until about 10 degrees below target temp, then the Auber takes over. Nothing fancy.

Comment

TheCountofQ , I’ve got your back tonight! Brisket has been on the GMG for a little over two hours.

Comment

How’s the Brisket, Count?

Comment

Not quite on yet. A littler trouble starting the fire delayed me. Couldn't find my paraffin lighting sticks. Ended up wrapping a paper towel really tightly and dousing with some vegetable oil. Stacked B&B around it and lit. seems to be working as well. Bringing the ranger up to temp...., gonna go rub the brisket.
            Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 8, 2017, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Ah, rubbing the Brisket! Mine is just hitting the stall. It’s almost time to check the bark on the Chuckie.

Comment

You're a few hours ahead of me. Was looking at your graph. Chuck didn't stall to long really. Am glad I am starting early. Probably closer to two before I level off the HB temps.
                Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 8, 2017, 12:53 AM.

Comment

I’ll be watching!

Comment

It'll be a long wait, as you well know. It just went on. Hoping to go the whole way without a crutch. I'm guessing 4 or 5 pm before a cambro. New to these though...

Comment

With Brisket I alway plan for a twelve-hour cook and up to 4-hrs Cambro. But I’ve seen it done earlier and later!

Comment

My first one was about that. This one is thicker at the point, so thinking longer. Have figured out that I was cooking cooler than I thought I was last time. My pit probe isn't as well guarded by my home made heat deflector and runs 25-40 degrees warmer than the completely deflected portion, so am running 255-270 as a goal, with momentary variances when adding coals thru the side door. Might drop below a bit while open, and climb above a bit after closing. Has been pretty easy to hold steady at 260, which puts me right at my target where the meat sits.

I kept it quite a bit cooler last time, and it turned or wonderful, but the bark struggled in the cambro and I had to wrap at a second stall, internal of around 190, I think.
                        Last edited by TheCountofQ; October 8, 2017, 06:41 AM.

Comment

I’m pulling mine off now. Got to sleep for a bit! Good luck.

Comment

12 hours in. No crutch.

Point at 205. Mostly like butter, except for that tip near the bottom. I wonder if it needs more, or has had a little too much. Thoughts...?

Flat about 185. Definitely needs more.

I think I'll separate now Click image for larger version

Name:	20171008_134724.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	392312 .

Don't want to crutch at all, till wrapping for the cambro.

Should it be safe to leave the point on unwrapped? We discussed leaving it on crutched last time, which was fine.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                              fzxdoc commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Looks like you're smoking a headless mermaid. Or is that too much of a stretch? Just envision a big fin at the end of the piece of meat (the point?) on the right. No matter what, it's looking pretty doggone delish.

Kathryn

• TheCountofQ
                              TheCountofQ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I see it now. :-D

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here