Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Ribs question - Faux Cambro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Ribs question - Faux Cambro?

Picked up and dry brined these beauties last night. Two inch, bone in short ribs. First time smoking them. Do you think I should Faux Cambro after reaching probe tender or are they too small to bother?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171007_084455.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	391545

I would. Even though they are small, a lot of magic happens in the cambro.

Comment

Thanks Steve B! I was hoping for this answer. This is my first beef smoke and doing a faux cambro is another thing to get experience in!

Comment

We love them little guys. Mmmmmmm good. They will take some time to finish. Don't be fooled by the size.

Comment

I've made 'em a couple times and was so hungry that I didn't wait to cambro. They'll be good if you don't but in a perfect world I'd do it.

Comment

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Check that. I did do it the last time. And liked them better the second time. That doesn't mean that it was bc of the cambro. I think i'm better at cooking them now than the first time which was about a year ago. I'd do it.

Me....I would cover them with foil and let them rest about 30 mins.

Comment

Eat the one that is done first, (the Runt of the Litter)and think about it while the rest cook. My first Batch was Amazing! My second batch was Tasty but Not so Tender, should have waited longer. They shrink up a lot.

Comment

All righty then. I am 4 1/2 hours in and IT is at 187 degrees. Cookers been running in the 217 to 244 degree range, mostly in 230's. They smell great and if I shine a flash light into the vent holes I see 'em barkin up! Soon I'll start checking for probe tender. Got the hot water in the cambro...

Comment

Probed at 195. Smaller pieces like butter knife to the probe. Pulled 'em, inhaled one of 'em, and put about 4 of 'em in the cambro.

Woof Woof

Name:	20171007_183844.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	391839
                ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Comment

Side note. It's 7:13 p.m. on October 7th in northern MD and the temp is 81 degrees! There has been a different bug hatch about every hour it seems. First the nats and skeeters of course but then things got bigger and weirder. No pics so it didn't happen but there is some stuff landing on me that I have never seen before. Creepy, crawly, long legged, thin winged and never been named creatures. Must be the BBBR and Short Ribs. Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining. I love it!

Comment

• Steve B
                    Steve B commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah here in NY there's been some extra large flying things as well. Like mini soft shell pterodactyl and stuff

All short ribs in the cambro now. Man I'm getting hungry!

Comment

Great lookin' cook. And we are waiting for the comparison between those already eaten and the cambro'ed shorties.

Comment

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Great question! So the one I scarfed down right off the smoker was the first one I ever had. It was so good I had to resist the temptation to eat 'em all right then and there. But a "lil' bit a rye" helped me through it. The ones that came out of the cambro seemed a little drier to me. I think I know why. I put them in an aluminum foil pan but did not wrap them in foil.

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I just covered the pan with a towel. Looking back i think that defeated the purpose of letting rest in their own glory and instead let the moisture disappear into the towel. Your thoughts RonB? Even with that they were really good. I am finishing them right now for brunch.

So it's small pieces in the cambro for 1+ hour, bigger pieces 1/2 hour 'cause I'm gonna pass out from the Jim Beam and no food!

Comment

Done. Dag that bark and beef is scrumptious! I am real happy with this first time cook!

Name:	20171007_203056.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	391935

Comment

Looks fabulous. I did beef ribs for the first time last weekend. Cooked about 8 hours and in the cambro for 2. Man they were good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here