Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learned something tonight…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learned something tonight…

Cooking tri-tip for guests, and I discover that my GMG DB controller and my Fireboard pit temp probe are not playing well together. Kept turning the controller up to get to about 250 pit temp. When I got to 290 on the DB but Fireboard only said 235, I figured this could be a challenging cook. Then when the meat was rising much faster than I had expected, I knew I could be in trouble. Still at least an hour plus before guests arrive, and I’m rapidly approaching the temp to pull the meat, heat up the cooker, and sear to finish. Uh, oh.

So I’ve got no choice. I pulled the meat (two roasts) and in the interest of food safety (they’re only at about 110 IT), I covered them and put them in the refrigerator. Then when the guests were about to arrive, I ran the GMG DB up to 500 and let it settle there. When I put the meat back on, the IT on the meat was about 95 or so. The sizzle was satisfying, and a half hour later I had two wonderful tri-tip roasts. Juicy, tender, great sear. The meat was a hit.

So what did I learn?
    First, if the meat gets done too early, it’s OK to hold it in the refrigerator. In fact, that reduces the need for OCD-level planning for when the cook should end. If it gets done early, oh, well. I can always hold it a bit, then sear just in time.

Second, yes, a pellet smoker can sear pretty well. At least my GMG DB did fine tonight. Check this out.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20171003 tri tip.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	390133

Be careful putting hot roasts in the fridge. It'll bring the fridge temp up to the danger zone and ruin some food and possibly kill the fridge.

GREAT lookin' tri-tip!!!
    ​​​​​​

Comment

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops. Never thought of that. I'll watch the fridge internal temps if I have to do that again. Thanks, Jerod Broussard

Beautiful!

Comment

Amazing TriTip!

Comment

Love that color!

Comment

Looks lovely.

Comment

Nice save!

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

I want a tri-tip now. Looking great.

Comment

Good to know Deaf Arty and Jerod P Broussard !
                  Last edited by Mudkat; October 4, 2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here