Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short rib tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short rib tips

I wanted to cook some pork spare ribs for my mother-in-law this weekend. Unfortunately, there was a rather sad selection at my supermarket. There were some nice-looking beef short ribs, however, so I decided to give them a try.

I put the ribs on the smoker around 1 p.m. and cooked them nice and hot (~285). Wrapped in butcher paper about 2.5 hours in, and they were ready for the faux-cambro by 5 p.m.

Here's a picture before the wrap. I'm thinking next time I'll wrap in a foil pan and add a little butter as they could have been a little more tender.

How do other folks cook these?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0239.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.65 MB ID:	389477
    Last edited by tinyboxer; October 2, 2017, 03:30 PM.

What indicator did you use to decide they were done? Did you cook to a specific temp? My guess is that you did not cook 'till probe tender. Each piece of meat is different, and some will be done at lower temps than others, so you can only use temp as a guide.

Comment

• tinyboxer
      tinyboxer commented
      Editing a comment
      I took the temp of a few ribs before I pulled them. Each piece was different (btw 190-200) but I didn't really check for tenderness. I'll be sure to try that next time. What are your target temps for these? Do you wrap?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      tinyboxer - I normally start checking for tenderness around 190*, but beef normally goes higher than pork for tenderness - it could be as high as 210*. You want the probe to slide in with no resistance - like a knife in soft butter.

• tinyboxer
      tinyboxer commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB - great, thanks for the tip!

I use BBBR, cook @225 with whiskey barrel oak until probe tender.

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      TheCountofQ , I get mine from fruitawood.com.

Nice sized chunks IMHO

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Ill check them out. One thing I have noticed about whiskey barrel oak, is the alcohol trends to cause them to busy into flames rather quickly. Have you experienced this also?

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really, TheCountofQ . I open the box for at least 24 hours after I get them. Perhaps that is why I don't get flames.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here