Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2nd brisket cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2nd brisket cook

This is my second full packer cook on my KJ Big Joe. My Smoke digital thermometer meat probe crapped out again. I'm trying to get some pointers and guidance on obtaining the deep bark color before I foil the brisket. It's been on 6 hours and my thermopen has me at 157. I'm running at 250 degrees with pecan wood chunks over KJ lump charcoal. How does this color look so far. Will the bark blacken up? I had a water pan under it for 4 hours and have now removed that. My plan was to foil at 170 and cook to 203. I don't want to foil until I get the really deep dark bark, almost black like Texas style....but I don't want to dry it out.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.60 MB ID:	388234
    Last edited by KevinG; September 30, 2017, 10:40 AM.

It's rubbed with a Dalmatian rub and I added paprika, garlic powder, and ancho powder

Comment

I'm no expert, but my first (last weekend) didn't get dark till 180 ish. Didn't dry out either, not wrapping till a second stall. I think it has a lot to do with how hot your smoker is also. Hotter = deeper tougher bark. I was 225-260ish for 13 hours.

Neither of us used sugar it appears, which contributes to the bark also, I think.

Its looking great to me. Nicer color so far.

Comment

• KevinG
        KevinG commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I just foiled it. I think it was starting to come out of the stall. It has a deeper, dark mahogany to blackish color now. I spritzed it with apple juice and foiled it.

Just foiled. Color seemed nice, plus I have company coming over at 6....only 4 hours, it's going to be tight for time! need the crutch, she's at 170 now. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0383.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	388276

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        How did this turn out? Photos?

I'm starting the bourbon baked beans now

Comment

Looking good! Can't wait to see the finish product.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here