Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wagyu/Angus flap meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagyu/Angus flap meat

Went to a new store/butcher today, of which I've heard plenty good stuff. Bought some really nice flap meat. This one is from Snake River Farms, and it's a mix of Wagyu and Angus. This little fella cost 2.4 USD per ounce. Not cheap, but it'll be interesting to try it out. This particular cut weighs 0.5 kilos, which translates into 18 oz.

How do you reckon I cook it? I'm thinking a classic reverse sear on my kettle + SnS should be the way to go, but always keen to hear other people's opinions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	flap.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	387336

I've never had flap meat. It looks a little like skirt steak. How thick is it?

Comment

This one is approx. 1 inch thick. This is copied directly from the NAMP (meat buyers) guide:

The steaks shall be prepared from the obliquus abdominis internus muscle or flap portion of the bottom sirloin butt as described in Item No. 185A. The boneless steaks shall be made into specified portion size or thickness by slicing the flap at an approximate right angle to the grain or direction of the muscle fibers.

It is also referred to as Beef loin or bottom sirloin butt. Either way, I've had (normally priced) flap meat before, and I really like it. It is similar to the flank (which also comes from the belly), but this one is slightly more tender/less fibrous. It also has higher fat content than the flank steak.

Comment

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        So maybe hot and fast then...?

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, perhaps I'll do this one caveman style.

In New England we called it sirloin tip. It's not a particularly tender piece of meat. Back there, we used to marinate it, cut it up into kebobs and rely on the fact that the pieces were small to get past the toughness. I know I've heard there are better treatments (SV comes to mind).

It is very tasty in compensation.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep... that'd be a sous vide for 8-24 at 129-131, then shock and sear hot and fast. Alternatively, it'd be a marinate and spiedie/kebab.

This one looks like it should go straight on the coals -- no grate and no reverse sear. Dry-brine at least an hour, maybe 3. Maybe a dusting of Ancho Chile powder and granulated garlic. Brown both sides, cut across the grain. Maybe a board sauce with lime and cilantro and serve with peppers and onions. Flat bread to make a sandwich.

Comment

It should be said that I bought this one because I wanted to try something Wagyu-ish, but can't motivate myself to spend that much money. This was an in-betweener of sorts. In terms of flavoring, I'm definitely dry brining it, but that's it. But kmhfive's idea of a board sauce sounds great, why didn't I think of that? Thank you, forum!

I'll report back (with pictures). Will see if this inspires me to get real wagyu. Would be interesting to try, but I always keep thinking of how much extra top quality (non-wagyu) meat I can buy for the same money

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here