Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3-2-1 ribs adapted to brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3-2-1 ribs adapted to brisket?

3. RIGHT NOW! I have a brisket on the smoker Traeger, approx. 225* fat side up slathered in mustard olive oil and seasonings! plan on leaving him alone for 5-6 hours, should be in the stall. Guessing 170-180 degrees. 2. Planning on then slipping him into an oven bag with some seasoned up beef stock and letting him warm up to near 200* Last step will be just flash finish on a hot gas grill with flames! Trying to achieve the magic 202-203 degrees and have some au jus in the bag! Anybody do their brisket this way?

Never done this, but it could work. Is there some point where you're checking for probe tender? My guess is that there is more variability in briskets than ribs, and it might not lend itself to such a formulaic approach. But I have been wrong many times before.

Comment

Not sure about the last step as the bark should be pretty awesome at this point. Heck, try it ... let us know. Tim

Comment

that is certainly different. do you plan on poking that thermometer through the bag? i would imagine transferring from the bag to the grill would be a messy experience. your brisket might be falling apart at 200

Comment

The first thing that comes to mind with using a bag would be the loss of bark do to steaming the brisket to a finish, versus tightly wrapping it in foil or butcher paper. Let us know how it all turns out?

Comment

I try to avoid adding liquid to the foil the I wrap. In my experience, I get a much more Roast beefy taste when I do it that way. I find that I have plenty of moisture left without adding an broth, then I pour that au jus over the brisket when I am done slicing. It makes for some killer slices.
            I would love to hear and see your results after you do this. It will be fun to see what you come up with!

Comment

Your comments make a lot of sense! Thinking the bag will be just folded over so a probe or thermometer can access the brisket. Agree on more juice diluting the brisket flavor! Will only incorporate a small amount of seasoned fluid. Then the big if's will it fall apart and or still have a nice bark??

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Well that will depend on how far into the 200's you take it. If you have it in a oven bag, that bark will be softened a lot. Only the crustiest bark will survive. If it is fall apart tender, may I suggest you use ther broiler in your oven to crisp it up? Just a thought.

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Spinaker for conveying what I was thinking above. The fingers didn't get the memo.

You will shorten the stall with a tight wrap. Not sure about the oven bag, but you want a tight fit, or you will stall.

This is pretty much the process for pulled beef though.

Comment

I don't see why that can't work. Putting the brisket in an oven bag may result in more of a "pot roast"-like texture and taste, but it should still be good. To speed up the stall, definitely wrap it tight. If cooked right, you won't need the extra beef stock. It'll be nice and juicy on its own.

Comment

Go for it and let us know the results.

Comment

Brisket in the bag w/ some celery sticks, half an onion and a cup of morning coffee laced w/worcestershire, soy sauce, better than bullion, apple cider vinegar, molasses, celery seed, celery salt, cumin, onion salt, black pepper and more rub! Temp fell back to the 160's. Looks good so far. Left him on the traeger. It is a really nice day!
                    Last edited by daveyd; September 20, 2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I have a Creekstone Master Chef Prime packer ready to hit the smoker on Friday and I plan a variant of that... I plan on smoking a separated point and flat to 155 and then walking the flat over to a SV bath for 36-48 hours @ 155. At that point I will drop the flat into an ice bath for a bit and then reverse sear him. Meanwhile, the point will get wrapped at the stall in butcher paper and then carried on out in the smoker as normal with a quick reverse sear ending. I have been playin around with that SV routine for the last 6 or 7 briskets and the 155 bath really nails the flat, but I have only been pre-smoking the flat for a couple hours before the bath. This time, I will smoke all the way to the bath temp and then drop him in for a couple days to see what comes out the backside. Good luck with your experiment. I am interested to see what the texture looks like after you juice it.

Comment

• FlaBouy
                        FlaBouy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        48 hours @ 155 is one of my shorter experiments... https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...63477-48-hours

• Potkettleblack
                        Potkettleblack commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yeah, I remember. If I were smoking to 145, I don't think I'd SV over 145, but I've established I'm for low low SV.

• FlaBouy
                        FlaBouy commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Different strokes... different smokes...

smoking over combination cherry and hickory pellerts

Comment

Result! kind of surprising. At 190* dumped the juice in a bowl, dropped the brisket on a 500* grill. Cut the bag and pulled it away. Had my grill grates under the brisket, let him sizzle several minutes, rolled him onto a pan and flipped to the other side. Tender but did not fall apart. Should have spayed the grill grates with some non-stick oil, pulled off a little bark but not much. Thermometer made it to over 201* put him in a pan covered to rest. The bark survived the cooking bag, the meat itself is juicy but has that kind of dry texture. I have about 4 cups of juice in a bowl and remember I only added 1 cup of seasoned fluid. These results are contrary to what I expected, a softened bark and retained juicy brisket! The good news it is delicious and it was fun sharing with amazing ribs web site peoples.

Comment

Glad there is more than one way to smoke meat!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here