Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this beef roast recipe make any sense to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does this beef roast recipe make any sense to you?

They want you to cook a 5 pound chuck roast at 275-300 for 4 hours. Then crutch and cook at 225 for 5-5 1/2 more hours.

Seems like they are suggesting cooking the roast for about 7 hours too long.

A 5 lb chuckie does take a lot of time to cook. That's not an unreasonable cook time, imho. The "extra" time is going to be needed to further tenderize it.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay. I had a 3 pound boneless chuck roast and it was done in 2 hours. I stayed close to 275 the whole time. I expected it to take much longer based off that article.

• TheCountofQ
      TheCountofQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I know he said to slice, but that will be darn near impossible. @ 4 hours unwrapped and another 5 crutches, I think one is looking at pulled beef. I've never done a 5 lb one though.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      "I think one is looking at pulled beef"

Which is what I was thinking I was going to do until I got spooked and pulled it at 135. I didn't want to waste $22 worth of grass-fed beef. Maybe i should have stuck with the plan?

On one of Aaron Franklin's shows he was talking to a BBQ old timer and they talked about their love of seriously overcooked beef. The old guys mantra was, "Cook it until it;s done and then keep cooking until it's tender!" I wouldn't be too quick to discount Kenji at serious eats.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
      Potkettleblack commented
      Editing a comment
      Prime Rib and Chuck are two different animals... well, same animal but shoulder clod versus unworking back muscle. They are not the same just because they are roasts.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure, and that's why I mentioned what he cooked in the video specifically. But Meathead lumped them together as beef roasts in the article, and he probably did so for a good reason.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Not the same at all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	gHucvWQ.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	161.7 KB
ID:	382452

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      awesome picture, did it come out tender?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I would say yes but it could be better. Some bites were not tender enough. That's probably why some guys are telling me a Chuck isn't the same as prime rib? And maybe that's why the recipe I should have stuck told me to cook it all day? I'm new to some of stuff.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanted to make roast beef for my girlfriend's luches. That's why I bought this piece of meat.

I think you are comparing apples to oranges here, Attjack . The referenced Serious Eats recipe is about cooking a chuck roast in the manner of a brisket, while the Meathead recipe is for a medium rare prime rib-like result. I do agree with TheCountofQ , that it would be hard to slice after cooking that long. But it's not 7 hrs too long.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I'm finally grasping that. I'll probably give it another shot at another time, and stay the course. Thanks for enlightening me.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, its a totally different result. It's like pot roast when you cook it that long it just falls apart. I believe the Italians call it "rags", good for a bolognese.

and if you are doing grass-fed beef be aware that there is less fat so you might need to add some cooking juices or something to the meat when you wrap it

one things this site is seriously lacking in is a pulled beef recipe

Comment

• HorseDoctor
      HorseDoctor commented
      Editing a comment
      Whole lotta info on "pulled beef" in the chuck roast area. Used to be a sticky on it but probably left when Dave Parrish went "pro". Check out https://abcbarbecue.com/pulled-beef/
      Last edited by HorseDoctor; September 20, 2017, 06:50 AM.

• DeusDingo
      DeusDingo commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah on the forums there is a lot of pulled beef, i am talking about the site proper. the tested recipes

Only 9 or 10 hours for a chuck roast? I routinely do them for 48 hours.

Of course that is in the hot tub but still...

It really comes down to what you are looking for in the end. There are many paths to a delicious result.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Joker!

If you don't mind the extra fussiness, this one always works great for pulled beef. I've mostly done it with grass-fed BTW. https://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/clays-pulled-beef/

Comment

• Thunder77
      Thunder77 commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF, do you really like this a lot? I ask because it seems like a whole lot of work. Also, do you need to have a DO with feet?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thunder77 - yeah, I consider this one worth the fuss. Feet not needed on the DO - I just put it on the cooking grate.

Attjack , if you want to do sliced roast beef for lunches, I would humbly suggest that you check out the recipe for Baltimore Pit Beef. It is amazingly good.

If you've dreaded stuff that passes for roast beef and wished you could find the real deal then this Baltimore pit beef recipe is for you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here