Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese Wagyu A5 Ribeye - How to best cook?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chef Morimoto.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	379770At your service sir.....

Comment

• BBQCentralShow
      BBQCentralShow commented
      Editing a comment
      Hilarious!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      BWHAHAHA!M heck no BBQCentralShow !!! He would want to cut that sucker razor thin. This ain't Shabu.... this is meat! Half of m wants to SV for the fat and future use.... the other 2/3 NOPE!! Straight up low n Slow with the sear. I say do them both. Salt, pepper and some smoke, just like a brisket with a sear.

I'll jump in: Holy crap, that's a beautiful beast!

Regardless of cooking it as a roast or cutting thick steaks, I'd go low 'n slow then sear. Most likely with the kettle + SnS. Keep us posted.

Comment

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That's cuz you da man with the secret service ninja stuff!!

Japanese basically treat it like super fatty toro. The best super fatty toro I've had was hit briefly with a blowtorch just to soften up the fat.

This is going to be so rich you wouldn't want to eat a whole steak by yourself so be careful on portion size so you don't waste it.

If you are doing a steak or a roast, I would reverse sear to about 110-115 and then sear super hot for no more than a minute a side. Might even consider the cast iron for the sear so you get the great crust in such a short amt of time. Going much above rare or rare+ would be a waste. The steak is going to cook much faster than a normal steak so watch closely.

Comment

• MrSkimo
      MrSkimo commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed - super rich. I think that is why they go thin, so they get a good sear and don't over cook

I've never cooked it and don't believe I ever will, but it looks like stevespurrier has. I also found this search that suggests CandySueQ and Potkettleblack may have good advice as well.

I'm very interested to see what you end up doing and how it turns out. I'd have to imagine with that much marbling the typical rules for steaks go out the window. I don't know if you'd want it rare with a thin slice and quick sear or try to soften the fat by going MR with a thicker cut and reverse sear. Not adding anything to the discussion except hopefully bringing in more experts.

Comment

Someone summoned?

Probably something like this:

Cast iron skillet simple salt and pepper, not adding smoke, bowl for steam.

I find that any unwarmed, uncooked fat in a kobe ruins my appreciation. So, I would not sous vide. I already messed up a few steaks off a SRF ribeye with SV at 129x1, then shock and sear.

I don't want to reverse sear, because there's a portioning issue. If you're fine with cutting a thick one, like 2", then reverse sear, slice and portion. It is VERY filling.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        I did not consider that as I have zero experience with it. Nice post!

• MrSkimo
        MrSkimo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Potkettleblack. Appreciate the feedback from someone who has done it! CI, salt and pepper was my original plan. I do have enough that I could reverse sear a 2" steak and portion. Which would be your preference? I know that the fat has a low melting point, so I'd be concerned about rendering a big puddle before it reached 135.

• MrSkimo
        MrSkimo commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, and thanks PBCDad for the summoning!

This is probably as close as I will ever get to that kind of beef. It looks amazing and I hope you enjoy it with people you love.

Comment

Maybe it's just me, but I am damned sure going to know how to cook it BEFORE I drop $1300 on a hunk of meat.

Comment

• MrSkimo
          MrSkimo commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL - me too...er wait a minute. :-) I was pretty sure before ordering, but I had a few days of wet aging in the fridge so why not solicit some expert advice. :-)
          Last edited by MrSkimo; September 15, 2017, 09:14 AM.

The bad news is: You can't cook it because you will screw it up!!

The good news is: You can send it to me and I will take care of it!!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          And screw it up. I get it, better you than him, yeah that's the ticket.

Well you have a very large, and expensive "hunk of meat" there. I did a little research and you are correct about cutting 1/2 inch portions, but the traditional Japanese method is not to use a full size steak but to use "wafer" sized pieces 1/2 inch thick. These "wafers" are then cooked one of two ways. 1. On a heated rock (brought up to 600 degrees in a kiln) or 2. Teppanyaki (think Kobe Steakhouse without the theatrics).

Seeing as you have such a large piece to work with why don't you do an experiment and cut off a 1/2 inch piece, break it down into "wafer" size and cook it in your CI, unless you have a kiln and hot rock handy-

Others have mentioned about how "rich" this beef is and I would agree with their suggestions about moderation.

Enjoy!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          If it were me, I'd be tempted to dry-age it 45 days first. But it isn't likely to be me!

• rodkeary
          rodkeary commented
          Editing a comment
          Me either. With 20% loss due to the dry aging process that makes it $125.00 per pound. Even if I could justify the price I don't think I could wait 45 days to try it.

• MrSkimo
          MrSkimo commented
          Editing a comment
          I have had it once in a restaurant and it was quite thin. Costco sells their A4 NY strip at 1 inch thick. I do have a chimney and could use Meathead 's afterburner method.

Perhapsmjust cook a piece and go from there. Cast iron or Weber.

Comment

I agree with a previous statement. Before I spend $1300 I'm going to know what I'm doing first...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0663.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	380168 So for those of you who haven't had A5 Wagyu before - it is amazing! I highly recommend trying it at least once in your life. What started me on this little adventure was a chance meal at a Yakiniku restaurant in Seattle. You cook your own food on the grill at your table, except for the A5 - they don't let you cook it yourself. They cut a 10 ounce steak at one inch thick and flipped continuously over a charcoal grill that looked like an afterburner. S&P only. Three of us shared the Wagyu and it was the most incredible meat we had ever had. We had other food too...but that small steak was the star. I would have had difficulty eating it by myself it was so rich and buttery.

Here's a picture of that steak.

Comment

Potkettleblack After watching Your video, I watched this one and it perfectly describes the ecstasy of eating Wagyu. https://youtu.be/Z5FoX3ju2J0

Comment

• shify
                shify commented
                Editing a comment
                Or do it both ways! One portion cooked whole, whether by reverse sear or direct heat, and a second portion cut thinly and cooked briefly in a crazy hot cast iron skillet or via blowtorch

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                I am liking this idea. Both of them... A little side by side would be great. I actually have a thick salt block that I have only used a few times. Maybe I'll figure out how to do that (without destroying the block) and superheat it on the Weber kettle. I really appreciate all the interest and suggestions

• MrSkimo
                MrSkimo commented
                Editing a comment
                I will have to post a short video if the cook is successful. If not, I will have to hang my head in shame...until I get it right!

MrSkimo, I don't see how you can mess this up! With that much intramuscular fat, it's going to be great! I overcooked a waygu tenderloin steak last night (gasp, arg!). It was still tender and tasty. I'm not a fan of the sous vide steak. I like my fat to render out over hot coals and be part of the meat seasoning. But that's just my taste, others will have different opinions.

Comment

Real waygu beef is very very rich. In japan they cut the meat very thin and serve it in appetizers. I dont know I could never afford a real Waygu piece of meat but its said that since it is so rich (full of fat) that a little goes a long way. So maybe do a test run cut off a 1/2 inch steak and cook it up in that cast iron pan and eat it to see how quickly (or not) you start to fill satiated and full. Then size the steaks accordingly for your party. Enjoy that wonderful looking hunk o meat!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here