Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Flanken cut ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Flanken cut ribs

Only beef ribs I could find at the local store were flanken cut. A lot of articles on the net for Korean style, but not so many for other styles. Some videos suggest smoking, other direct grilling after a marinade, etc... If you have any recommends for getting the best from this cut I would appreciate it.

The Korean style is basically a variant of direct grilling with marinade. So I'd take that approach with this cut. Choose your marinade for the style you're in the mood for! (I'd go Korean myself ;-)

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for your advice. My wife can't take much spice, but I will look at Korean again and see if I can tone it down a bit.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      i'm sure you'll find a combo you both enjoy. These ribs are pretty versatile in terms of flavors that can work with.

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks EdF. You and Donw gave me an education. Donw - haven't cooked Flanken style before. This supports EdF: http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-d...f-mouth-215313
      Last edited by tbob4; September 12, 2017, 10:25 PM. Reason: Auto correct didn't like Donw - changed him to "Down" and Flanken to "flanked"

I've tried it once. Gotta experiment more before I can make any recommendations of my own. I'd trust EdF.

Comment

I have also done them with just spices. A mixture of some cumin and seasoning salt. This will be much drier than using a marinate. It can be more like a chewy little appetizer. Tough but still good. I prefer some form of marinate.

Comment

Take a look at what Kenji says over at Food Lab. http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/t...ll-part-3.html

he describes short ribs as versatile and forgiving and says can cook them however you want, low and slow or hot and fast.

Short answer is flanken cut ribs are delicious Korean style, smoked low and slow or just reverse seared to medium rare.

Also in Argentina they commonly cook flanken cut ribs in their Asado grills. https://www.google.com/search?q=arge...iw=414&bih=660
        Last edited by adamjs83; September 13, 2017, 05:56 AM.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, called asado de tira in Argentina and was my favorite cut of steak there. Just lots of salt and pepper and grilled over direct heat.

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. I know she would like this. We spent a month in Argentina a few years back and loved every piece of meat we had.

1. Cover Ribs with Soy Sauce and add 1 clove garlic chopped. I use a gallon ZipLoc, so partition ribs out accordingly to fit into ZipLoc.
        2. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
        3. Heat grill to high, i.e., all burners on for gasser; full chimney for kettle.
        4. Cook about 6 minutes / side. Come out medium rare to medium.

One exception where I want the grill marks. Planning a round soon for an Asian - based feast!

--Ed

Click image for larger version

Name:	Flanken_Ribs.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	379508

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy, I would be proud if mine turn out this good looking. Thank you, they look delicious!

Thanks! Here's the link to the long, drawn-out write up. I've been using this recipe for a few years. Try cooking at 4 minutes per side vs. 6.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johnmahoney...J3#.rxKOzn1n48
        Last edited by Medusa; September 14, 2017, 02:30 AM. Reason: Corrected cooking time.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Again, thanks. Gave it a try tonight following your lead and they came out great. Wife really liked them. That 4 minute per side guide was spot on.

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to hear and thanks for sharing! Happy Wife = Happy Life!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here