Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lessons learned from first brisket in the PBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lessons learned from first brisket in the PBC

I'm a big believer in practice makes perfect, and the biggest gains are at the beginning, when the learning curve is steepest. In this lesson, I learned that the PBC can definitely go for 9 hours, maybe longer, on a single load of charcoal, that you shouldn't cut up the whole brisket, and that you can probably capture more moisture by wrapping the brisket at the beginning of the stall.

I bought a full packer brisket at Costco, trimmed it, and then, not knowing what I was doing, cut it into three pieces. The pieces were sort of a point, a flat, and a point/flat. Rubbed them with Pastorini's Texas rub on two of the pieces and PBC Beef Rub on the third. Put the brisket in the PBC at 0845 in the morning and let it go for 8.5 hours, until the IT hit 204. Put it into my covered roasting pan and left it there for about 7 hours.

It's pretty tasty, very smoky and bark-y, but it's drier than I wanted it to be. I was ready to wrap it at the stall but the stall actually went by pretty quickly, about 2.5 hours. I was having fun with the PBC, tinkering with opening the lid and manipulating the vent opening. I had two big pieces of mesquite wood on top of the charcoal that were smoking up a storm. Next time, I will keep the meat intact, as one piece, and I will wrap when the IT hits 160.

Here are some photos, taken at the beginning, the 4 hour mark, the 5 hour mark, the transition to the roasting pan, and finally when I sliced it. That's Charly, one of my Ridgebacks, peeking at the brisket in one of the slicing photos. The last photo is a sandwich with brisket, spicy pickles, sliced red onion, KC Masterpiece and homemade sauces, on sourdough toast. I can't tell you how delicious that sandwich was.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3576.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	378404Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3577.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	378414Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3578.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	378413Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3580.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	378412Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3581.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	378408Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3585.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	378409Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3586.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	378415Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3587.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	378410Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3588.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	378411Click image for larger version

Name:	File_000.jpeg
Views:	103
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	378421Click image for larger version

Name:	File_001.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	378417Click image for larger version

Name:	File_003.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	378418Click image for larger version

Name:	File_002.jpeg
Views:	102
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	378420Click image for larger version

Name:	File_004.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	378416
    Attached Files

Nice bark.

After cooking a couple hundred briskets I've never produced a moist brisket simply by wrapping early. In fact my driest brisket ever was a Prime flat (key word "flat") wrapped at the stall. Two of my best were wrapped at 194 internal, chilled, then reheated whole. Go figure. Course they got a 40 day wet-age.

I've had some Choice flats come out great with a nice little "slick" on the slices, but with any big piece of sliced meat they dry out pretty fast.

If you're still going to cook to tenderness most times you are going over 200 internal and believe it or not moisture is still coming out that brisket whether it is wrapped or not.

Meathead gives a great demonstration of a moist brisket with his pastrami recipe video. He slices it hot and lets the FAT oooze down.

Comment

• Citizenoftheworld
      Citizenoftheworld commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Jerod, I'll do some more research and try wet aging the brisket next time.

Nice looking bark! Congrats.

Comment

Very nice looking cook. Congrats. FWIW, I've come to understand that adjusting the vent has little to no effect on the temps in the PBC once it's rolling. Is that what you saw in your tinkering?

Comment

• Citizenoftheworld
        Editing a comment
        I had the vent at about 1/3 open, technically should be 1/4 based on my altitude. Temps stayed around 250-260. When it looked like the stall was ending, I opened the vent to three quarters. I was trying to get to 270 and stay there. Gave up and let it fall to 250. I think you're right, the vent seems to have no effect whereas the rebar holes and cracking the lid do.

• phoccer
        phoccer commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. I also tinkered with mine closing down the vent this weekend thinking it would lower temps but I made the adjustment when it was falling from it's peak so no way to really tell. One of these days I'll stop tinkering with it. I hope.

Ok - we're cooking in a barrel that by design needs a baseline airflow based on altitude to create that PBC magic and with all the other variables that need to managed (lid, charcoal load and lighting technique, rebars in or out) IMHO the last thing to mess with would be the vent setting. But maybe that's just me.

Comment

• phoccer
        phoccer commented
        Editing a comment
        For me, coming from a Weber kettle I kept thinking it would work the same. I wasn't fully thinking through how different the PBC is from the kettle. It's obvious it's different, I just had my mind stuck in kettle mode.

• Citizenoftheworld
        Editing a comment
        I think you're right, but I'm glad I played around with it. One of the lessons learned.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here