Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatball help, shooting blanks ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿค”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meatball help, shooting blanks ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ๐Ÿค”

The Set up: So I have Saturdays off which is rare for Chefs. That was just my deal. The 25 year old boy (the troll in the room at the end of the hall) is moving out today. I was going to make ribs today to ease my week and make me happy. That did not go over so well. Mom was feeling sad and mommy like.... geeze... BTW... 3 months ago We told the boy it was time to kick bricks and live his life on his terms.... elsewhere. I sent the queen and the princess (SWMBO and 6 year old) to the salon for a Mani-Ped and some girl time. I did not want the move out to be a depressing thing for them. The 11 year old is sad but we allowed multiple hours of Xbox and I'm not sure he noticed it was move out today. He also had leftover Tri tip and chicken thigh. Straight up meat.

So ribs were out (not on sale either) and I bought a leg o lamb cut into 1" steaks. I ground that to add to my grass fed chuck. I'm making meatball sammiches with Swiss and gruyere. I have a garlic and onion reduction with red wine (Cab) and am simply drawing up blanks.

Nothng I'm coming up with for herb or additional season is catching my attention. I think this is like writers block. I need this to be mouthwatering delicious. My meatball production method and technique is above average but my palate is blank today.

looking for suggestions without heat for additional flavor.
    Fixing a cocktail and jumping in the pool.

Gracias
    Erik

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8506.PNG
Views:	101
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	377469

This recipe is awesome, and I don't think replacing the pork with the lamb will hurt. Then again, you could replace some of the beef with it. Since you're putting lamb in, maybe some rosemary.

The recipe is from the Time-Life Cooking of Italy book, one of the best sources of Italian recipes I've run into (besides Marcella Hazen).

MEATBALLS IN TOMATO SAUCE
    (POLPETTE ALLA CASALINGA)

2 slices French of Italian bread, torn into small pieces
    1/2 cup milk
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 pound beef chuck, ground twice
    1/4 pound sweet Italian sausage, removed from casing
    6 tablespoons freshly grated imported Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley, preferably the flat-leaf Italian type
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
    1/4 teaspoon allspice
    1 teaspoon salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Olive or vegetable oil (for frying)
    Tomato sauce (for serving)

Soak the pieces of bread in 1/2 cup milk for five minutes, then squeeze them dry and discard the milk.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the soaked bread with a lightly beaten egg, ground beef, Italian sausage meat, Parmesan cheese, parsley, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, lemon peel, allspice, salt and a few grindings of black pepper. Knead the mixture vigorously with both hands or beat with a spoon until all of the ingredients are well blended and the mixture is smooth and fluffy.

Shape meat mixture into meatballs that are about 1 1/2-inches in diameter. Lay the meatballs out in one layer on a flat tray or baking sheet, cover them with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.

Heat 1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil in a heavy 12-inch skillet until a light haze forms over it. Fry the meatballs 5 to 6 at a time over moderately high heat, shaking the pan constantly to roll them balls and help keep them round. In 8 to 10 minutes the meatballs should be brown on the outside and show no trace of pink inside. Add more oil to the skillet as needed.

Serve with homemade tomato sauce.

Makes 4 servings

Comment

I was thinking mustard when you were describing the meat and cheese selection. But if you want more fancy, maybe cumin, coriander, and sweet paprika in the meatballs with mint or dill tzatziki sauce.

Comment

Wrap them in bacon.. ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• HouseHomey
          HouseHomey commented
          Editing a comment
          Im cracking up!

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey if not wrapped in bacon why not try dicing some up and adding to the mixture.

Than wrap them in bacon. Oh yeah baby.

• Pirate Scott
          Pirate Scott commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds like Bacon has a chance here.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here